Looking for ideas...

Hi all, Im getting ready to build an AV rack for my home stereo goodies. It will be 4 shelves, with one main brace in the back of the shelving unit.

Can anyone offer any ideas on something to use rather then the standard 2x4 in the back? I just cant help but think that a 2x4 might ruin the look of what could be a really nice shelving unit.

Maybe route edges on the 2x4? Maybe make a facia for the front of the 2x4?

Can anyone offer up any inspiration for me here? Thanks!

Reply to
Sinjin Smithe

what are you making the rest of the unit with? Why don't you just use some of that wood?

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

How about a pair of 1x6's knotched to accept shelves that cantelever forward You can even angle them so you can have larger shelves at the bottom and smaller ones on top if your equipment differs in dimensions. You can use the space between the 1x6's as a "tunnel" to route the cables.

Reply to
Saudade

The shelves will be made out of MDF. The only other piece of the unit, aside from the shelves, is the support board, which is what im stuck on.

Its going to be a single board, that runs up the back of the shelves, in the middle..

Reply to
Sinjin Smithe

Sinjin Smithe spaketh...

how about a 1x5 piece of walnut rabbeted into the mdf?

Reply to
McQualude