How do you sharpen kitchen fruit peelers?

I have two fruit peelers, one of which is dull.

How does one sharpen them?

Reply to
Angel Rodriguez

Beats me, after 10 years or so we toss it and get a new one. You'd have to get a stone in there somehow to get it right.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Depends.

go to hardware store and buy a set of those tiny hand files. try to sharpenby using the various type of file that fits.

Be prepared these may be super hardened ?? in order to not need sharpening [yeah, sure, as verified by your question], which are harder than your file and you won't get anywhere.

Then that will require diamond files, not actually 'diamond' but granular diamonds all over the surface. Which means go online to look for those, anything that can file down through a lock clasp should work.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Angel,

There are a few special sharpener jigs available but they are expensive and I've no idea how well they work. Oxo makes a peeler in which the blade can be replaced. The peeler sells for around $10 and new blades go for around $5.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

+1. Most fruits we eat w/o peeling.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

The time and effort to sharpen aren't worth the cost of new peelers.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Then why does anyone sharpen a chain saw blade with a file? Or a knife on a sandstone? Or a drill bit in a bench grinder? Or a lawn mower blade with a dremel tool? etc

Certainly sharpening is worth the effort. You just have to have the tools and technique which is what the guy was asking.

Reply to
Handy Mann

It is worth investing $20 for tools to sharpen an item you can buy for $5? In the past 48 years we've bought maybe three peelers and probably would have lost the sharpening stones in between anyway.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If I were going to try to sharpen rather than replace I wouldn't mess with the beveled side, just use a stone on the other side. AAMOF, I just looked at my wife's and that is where they were sharpend originally.

Reply to
dadiOH

If you are working 40+ hrs a week, sharpening a fricken potato peeler ain't worth the time and effort.

If you're retired, got nuthin to do and all day to do it, grab your hone and sharpen away. You can even take a nap when your done.

Reply to
noname

Because the items you mention are relatively high dollar items, need sharping often so the cost of the sharpening tools is worth it.

Buying tools to sharpen something that costs less than a couple bucks? No way.

I'm still using the same peeler I bought some 40 years ago and it is still just fine.

Harry K Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Do you sharpen drill bits on your bench grinder? I do.

It's worth having a sharp bit, and not having to drive down to the store just to buy a $2 drill bit.

Likewise, is it worth sharpening your chain saw? Again, most people do even though a brand new chain is only about

20 bucks.

What about an old kitchen knife? Do you just buy a new one every time it gets dull?

I doubt that you do, if you're on this newsgroup.

Reply to
Handy Mann

Originally? And where are they sharpened now?

Reply to
Handy Mann

I guess shop tools are worth the time and effort, but not kitchen implements.

Makes sense. The wife wouldn't know the difference.

Reply to
Angel Rodriguez

there are a variety of methods discussed on the internet:

use a stone

use a steel, by "peeling" the steel

use a paring knife

use the bottom of a nonglazed ceramic cup

Reply to
Pico Rico

For me it is a balancing act. I sharpen most items around the house. Even have a $ 100+ drill doctor to sharpen bits as I never learned to do it on a grinder. No more than I drill, it would probably pay me to just get new bits. Got that drill doctor for a Christmas present as I could not think of anything else I wanted.

Other things such as putting some tar on the roof I use inexpensive paint brushes and throw them away. It would cost more for cleaner than the brushes. Last year I tosssed out a John Deere mower that had about 350 hours on it. About 8 years old. The transaxel went out. It would have cost about half th eprice of the mower to replace it and it still would only be good for about that much longer. Thought I was buying quality,but found out later they made a piece of junk to sell. Last Deere I will buy.

If that fruit peeler is less than say $ 5 and you don't have a tool to sharpen it, toss and get a new one. If you do have the tool and it takes only a short time , then sharpen it. I often sharpen the blades on my utility knife as it only takes a short time to do so even though they are not very expensive.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I'd also add that the items on his list have designs that make it easy and practical to sharpen them. I can sharpen a mower blade very easily in a few minutes with a handheld grinder. A peeler is typically made of stainless steel and has a blade in a small opening. I think it would be a PIA to get a file on it at the right angle and to do the filing. If he wants to compare it to other sharp things, it would seem to me it's more like a disposable razor blade than it is a lawn mower blade. Maybe it can be done and it's practical, but so far I don't see anyone saying they do it.

Reply to
trader_4

With a small stone. You will be sharpening one side of each blade, but plenty of good knives are sharpened on only one side.

Reply to
Not

IDK what kind of peeler you have, but the ones I have, there is no way to get to the edge with a stone. The edge is in a small opening and on an angle.

Reply to
trader_4

I don't think I've ever driven down to the store _just_ to buy a $2 drill bit. If I need a bit, I'll buy it when I'm there for other items.

How often do you need to sharpen a chain vs. how often do you need to sharpen a vegetable peeler? Multiple $20 adds up quick.

Reply to
DerbyDad03