Re: klownhammer

I take you back to an earlier time: A sweeter time, a time of

> innocence, a time of - well, let's just say it was a while back. >

What are you talking about?

Reply to
Toller

Alas, the Wielders of the Klownhammers have faded into the Blessed Lands, and the Long September is truly come to the Land of Men.

This, too, shall pass and be forgotten.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

The handles of the klownhammers were of Jummywood were they not?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Oh for crying out loud... I'm not one to disregard history, but I prefer to live in the present.

Reply to
lwasserm

Reply to
nospambob

Do you know where I might find some free klownhammer plans? Muckleshed?

Reply to
Stoutman

Wed, Nov 15, 2006, 4:41am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@Yahoo.com (Toller) plaintively queries: What are you talking about?

It's a different time. If you need an explanation, you'll never understand.

JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.

Reply to
J T

First you talk to me, next you want to ignore me, know your talking to me again?

Fickle huh?

You sure it's no stoutWOMAN?

Reply to
barry

Talk about silly crap ... you disliked it so much that you quoted it again in its entirety??

Reply to
Swingman

Lighten up Muckles, it was a joke. I don't need plans, I can design my own klownhammer.

Umm, good one.

Reply to
Stoutman

Hey knucklehead, it wasn't Watson who characterized you as wearisome. Engage your brain before putting your keyboard into gear.

Reply to
tommyboy

Wed, Nov 15, 2006, 3:56pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@muckleshed.com doth burbleth: To quote yourself.... Your silly crap is becoming wearisome.

For the Goids' sakes, learn to snip.

You can always ignore him you know. I'm sure Tom does you.

JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.

Reply to
J T

He is talking about events that occurred more than 10 years ago, right here in the wreck. I am one of the "Bennett's" that he is referring to (my last name). The other uses "Bennett" as his first name.

Shortly after I started participating in the group, the other Bennett started haunting my every post with trolling, taunting responses designed to incite a flame war. It wasn't at all like TJ's cryptic little stories. These were head-on attacks. Mostly, he was very critical of my products but onced he even started a thread entitled "Ed Bennett must die!". His tactics worked just about every time. Before long he knew all my buttons pretty well and I shot back with flames on a regular basis. There were truces and "cease fires" and all sorts of efforts to end the wars. I don't remember anything about "KnownHammers" but perhaps I was just too caught up in it all. Tom is right, it was BAD!

I can't remember exactly how it ended. But in the end there were a number of email messages exchanged and a dozen or so people (who were genuinely interested) being copied. The argument had to do with my claimed angle measurement accuracy. I gave him a Jr. for free. I sent him video tape demonstrating the accuracy of angle blocks and all sorts of stuff. IIRC he eventually got backed into a corner or just ran out of arguments and went away.

Most of what I said during the "Bennett Wars" was pretty caustic. It's nothing to be proud of. Bennett was (and probably still is) brilliant. His arguments were very well constructed, reasoning sound and logic impecable. He conducted a debate like someone would play a game of chess. Planning traps to ensnare his opponent several moves in advance. I wasn't his first victim, his skills had been honed over several years (the "Cabal" was a group of his previous vicitms, but of course it doesn't exist). I was no match at all and I am very embarrassed at how I conducted myself.

There is one good thing for me that came out of the saga. I had been manufacturing my products and running my business off the knowledge and expertise of those engineers and consultants who helped get me started. Bennett forced me to take personal responsibility for that knowledge and expertise. His criticism compelled me to buy equipment, conduct experiments, and do a rigorous studies of my accuracy claims with statistical analysis of tolerances and measurement uncertainty. Two articles resulted, and formed the first entries in the Technical documentation section of my web site:

fact, many of the articles in the Technical Documentation section were prompted by Bennett's criticism of my products. Every time he came up with some reason why my products were no good, I would write an article about the technical details which explained otherwise. So, in spite of all the pain he caused me, I owe Bennett a debt of gratitude. Without his critical taunting, my knowledge and expertise on the topics of Metrology, manufacturing, and machinery alignment wouldn't be anywhere near what they are today. And, he probably taught me a thing or two about woodworking as well (but I would never admit to anything specific ;-)).

Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com

Reply to
ejb

See the new posting re: KlownHammer.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

That was a damned fine explication, Ed.

They was some mighty wars but they was interesting and informative.

Let me take this opportunity to tell you that I have total respect for what you do and what you make and how you present yourself.

My concern has always been to keep woodorking available to everyone, even folks who own a BT-3000.

WoodDorking is a broad spectrum and there is room for all within it, be they dudes with engineer mentalities or those who just want to make a pukey duck that doesn't fall apart.

I think that the discussion of appropriate accuracy in measurement could go on forever - and maybe it should.

But everyone should get to play. It should be Mahayana, not Theraveda, in my view, although I am willing and in anticipation of being corrected.

My best wishes to you in you business pursuits and my best wishes to you as a decent dude.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

y'know, sometimes it amazes me how some problems just jump up and shriek "plonk me! plonk me!"

I bet you're a big hit at parties. Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Thank you Tom, I am glad you approve of my exegesis.

For some it held an interest. For some it was torture!

I appreciate that.

Absolutely. So, it would be appropriate to share how one would do a task themselves. It would also be appropriate to recommend a particular tool and/or technique to another. But, it would be counterproductive to follow up such a message to say that the particular tool and/or technique in question was unnecessary. And, it would not be appropriate to demean others and characterize them with unflattering descriptions just because they advocate a particular tool or method to solve a particular problem. Correct?

Mahayana: the branch of Buddhism that includes Tibetan, Chinese, and Zen Buddhism, developed around ad 1. It stresses compassion for all sentient beings and universal salvation. The Theravada Buddhists believe that they practice the original form of Buddhism as it was handed down to them by Buddha.

Not so much a correction.... Are you saying that we should accept all tools and methods with respect for those who embrace them and recognize that they all lead to completed projects of the highest quality? This would seem to be the Mahayana branch of woodworking.

And, would you also be implying that we should not be dogmatic about any one particular set of tools or methods as if they are the only ones truely sanctified for the completion of the highest quality of woodwork? This would seem to be the Theravada branch of woodworking.

And, mine to you and yours as well. Our conversation has been and will continue to be an absolute pleasure.

Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com

ejb

Ed:

Do me this one favor.

The first character described was clearly from another age. Read it again and you will see that.

My point was that our forefathers made perfectly good furniture, some of it approaching the level of genius, without recourse to what we moderns have available to us.

It was not another argument of Normite v. Neander.

My point was and is that we must not be too caught up in the technology of our craft to the degree that it may overcome the true intent of making.

I worry about the gadgeteers, who think that the purchase of this or that will surely make them a craftsman.

You know, as well as I do, that this is not the true path.

Mahayana may be characterized as the Big Raft that embraces all.

Theraveda speaks of mysteries that are only available to the chosen.

I'm too much of an American to like that concept.

I worry about newbies that will take your speaking as the only true gospel and will say to themselves, "I'm not going anywhere with this hobby. The ante is too high."

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Wow, Tom, I think we gave poor Ed the ole 1, 2 punch. LOL.. He and I were discussing the same concept last week IIRC. I too respect Ed and his products but like you, I know that there is more than one way to skin a cat. ;~)

Reply to
Leon