talking about noise

As each day goes by the more noise there is around here . every neighbor has a different "lawn service " that spend all of 5 minutes cutting grass and the next 30 blowing the clippings and odd trash into someones elses yard.

Seems this happen every day of the week, it's about to drive me bonkers. seems to me there is some kind of local rules or at least a need for a quiet blower design...

Reply to
mike hide

I'd love to see a leaf blower ordinance in my town. Every Monday, like clockwork, Mr. Bozo lawn service guy cranks up his gas powered leaf blower at 7:40 AM. Can you guess what I'd like to do with that thing? :)

Dave

Reply to
David

David wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Here, they wait for 8 am, which I can handle.

The drip irrigation system in my yard coming on at 5:45 am, so that the water pressure in the neighborhood is adequate, has the predictable physiological effect. Has nothing to do with leaf blowers, however.

If there is a leaf blower going, I figure that a table saw, or dust collector, or miter saw is fair game for me, too.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Just wait for fuel prices to make scythe and rake cheaper, so that the lawn service man pedalling along on his bike with a bike trailer for the tools makes almost no noise (except at home where he hammers his scythe...)

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

The sound can travel some distance too.

My favorite neighbor likes to cut his law at dinner on the deck time on Sunday evening. The SOB is retired and has all week to do it but nooooooo, it has to be when you'd really like some quiet.

Another neighbor used to be that way. One day when he had a family picnic, I fired up my mower and just let it sit at the property line for 10 minutes. He learned that day and never did it again.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's one of my pet peeves, too. There's a guy about two blocks away from me who insists on getting _every_single_blade_ of grass off of his driveway after he mows. That blower runs for hours at a time. If he'd use a broom instead, it would take less time, do a better job, and not annoy the neighbors... and he wouldn't be so dang fat, either!

Reply to
Doug Miller

Holy Cow!!! Two blocks and you're complaining about the noise level? That must be some loud lawn mower.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yeah, have you noticed that people who need the exercise of a push mower or push broom tend not to use them? And the people who push their mowers look like they are triathletes? Generalizations, of course, but seem to be mostly true IME.

Reply to
Andy

On 2 Sep 2005 10:09:17 -0700, the blithe spirit "Andy" clearly indicated:

I sell the perfect t-shirt for those who don't push their mowers.

(Look at the 9 other tees, too.)

.-. Life is short. Eat dessert first! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Leaf blower, actually... but yes, it is. Very loud.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I'm careful about throwing stones about lawn services. My workshop is in my garage and when I crank up the shop vac along with the TS or router or planer or ??? I make a lot of noise. Just a matter of time before a neighbor complains to the homeowners association.

Reply to
Jerry

do you leave the door(s) open? My shop is in my garage and it really is hard to hear the DC and planer when the doors are closed. (I've got weatherstrip all around the door). I've got a/c now, so I can leave the doors closed on a hot day. Yeah!

Dave

Reply to
David

Ah ... a sure sign of getting old. When I was back in college, our dorms used to blast 300 watt systems out the windows at each other. These "sound wars" could go on all night long.

But we didn't care. After all, we were spoiled brats in college and missing a morning class was not the worst thing that could happen.

Now when someone drives by with a boom-car, I have to shake my head in wonder.

Where have all those young years gone?

Jack

mike hide wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

How do you keep the sawdust out of the A/C unit. Do you do anything in addition to the normal filter on the air intake? I plan to air condition my shop when I get it built. John in SC

Reply to
John Heacock