Re: Central Machinery quality? (2023 Update)

It's Merrel boots for me. I have a pair of Moab mid boots and Moab low boots.

Waterproof, ridiculously comfortable, great support, Vibram sole.

The tread pattern is designed to release dirt and mud so they retain their traction even on wet surfaces. I can walk all day in either pair, city sidewalks or woody trails. More comfortable than any sneakers I own.

Neither model offered squeak as an option. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

<...>

I have odd sized feet. It's really difficult to find shoes that fit. I did need a 6E width but can now use a 4E in some shoes. Extra-extra-wide shoes are hard to find. I tried to put Timberland boots on a while ago. Not even close.

Reply to
krw

But only "medium" and "wide" widths.

Is that so that you can sneak up on elephants?

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I feel your pain. 6E. Wow. Mine's 4E, at least in New Balance, and I had to turn to Amazon to get shoes that fit.

New Balance has been selling their 4E shoes in stores recently. I was amazed--surprised--and delighted to actually bring home a pair of shoes that fit from a store!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

With all the free return policies these days, buying shoes on line is no longer a risk, unless...

I needed new water shoes, so I ordered 2 different sizes, knowing that I could return whichever pair didn?t fit. The larger size fit fine and as I was modeling the water shoes for SWMBO, she said ?Those are nice. Let me try on the smaller size.? They fit her perfectly, so she kept them, my treat.

I needed new hiking shoes, so I ordered 2 different sizes, knowing that I could return whichever pair didn?t fit. The larger size fit fine and as I was modeling the hiking shoes for SWMBO, she said ?Those are nice. Let me try on the smaller size.? They fit her perfectly, so she kept them, my treat.

From now on I?m not showing her what I bought until I?ve already shipped the extra pair back. It ends up costing me double every time I buy a pair of shoes. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I tried Merrel walking shoes. Rated water proof. My feet got soaked from the morning due on the grass. Merrel was not helpful to correct the issue.

Reply to
Leon

Go to the Keen web site and do the chat with a rep. My wife has wide feet and they were helpful in narrowing down which shoes to get. She is happy with with choice. IIRC I returned a pair that were to narrow, a different style, returns are welcome.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, these are New Balance (928's). The only place to get New Balance

4E is in _their_ store and the wide (wide) shoes are only available in a few models. A few is better than none, anyway. The 6E widths aren't available in their stores at all. They can order them but so can I. I They don't have a store on this side of the city and I rarely venture to the other side. There is a Woodcraft on this side. ;-)
Reply to
krw

It costs far more than double from the minute you said "I do.".

Reply to
krw

Actually, my feet aren't all that wide and I can't convince the droids in shoe stores that I need the wide shoes. They measure and say "nope, here is a nice pair of 'D'". OK, get them on my feet. Hmm. My feet aren't real wide but I have very high insteps. To get shoes that have enough material to get to the top of the foot, wide sizes are needed. There is no way I can wear loafers or bedroom slippers, in any size.

Reply to
krw

Worth every penny.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

i've bought a 9in bandsaw and a drill press from them and both work great no problems, while you do have to be careful on what tools you get at harbor freight some things might not be such a great deal but these items are great for my wood shop so. that being said if you are going to get an item for a busy commercial setting you might consider "you get what you pay for." however, in this day and age unless you are planning on spending an insane amount for one tool most brands all use cheap "made in china parts" they just make the wrapper look pretty. for instance, is that table saw really well built? look underneath at the workings are such things as the gears made of metal or cheap plastic, you get the idea. so i guess its more like is it built good enough for how often, etc., you are planning to use it for and can afford. do you need to spend hundreds instead of a hundred for one tool you might only need once in awhile. if its defective from box as with any brand you can always take it right back for an exchange, etc., and get one that isn't defective. every brand has issues and haters, some think it can't be good unless i outspend the next guy on one.

Reply to
Ronald Treitner