Radial arm saw versus 12" compund sliding miter saw question.

The corollary, which is more appropriate here, is that if anything can be adjusted it needs to be. A RAS is nothing but a pile of adjustments.

Reply to
keithw86

Uh, we aren't talking about "every type of undue stress caused by idiots or the uninformed", we are talking about an obvious kind of stress that any engineer should expect to be encountered by the saw during normal operation. They know what motor they put on it, they know how much torque it produces, they know the moment arm, they know the ramp angle, from that it's easy to calculate how much stress it's going to put on the arm if it stalls.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Uh, I thought we "were" talking about "idiot's" your word ;~) using the wrong blade on a machine.

Reply to
Leon

No, it's you who defends the ludicrous idea that blades cannot be interchanged between saw types without "injuring" the iron.

Reply to
keithw86

No, it's you who defends the ludicrous idea that blades cannot be interchanged between saw types without "injuring" the iron.

I'm sure you are right.

Reply to
Leon

LOL. Try as you may, I doubt you will ever convince him his logic is flawed.

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I know I am. Please fix your newsreader.

Reply to
keithw86

Arm

Not in the case of Dewalt 718 as the base has a plastic insert and turns as you change the miter angle so there's no chance of hitting a metal base.

Owner manual:

page 9, column 3 refers to it as a "grooving stop" whose purpose is to limit the depth of a groove. Multiple grooves stopped at the same depth provide a dado.

~Mark.

Reply to
Woody

Arm

Not in the case of Dewalt 718 as the base has a plastic insert and turns as you change the miter angle so there's no chance of hitting a metal base.

Owner manual:

page 9, column 3 refers to it as a "grooving stop" whose purpose is to limit the depth of a groove. Multiple grooves stopped at the same depth provide a dado.

~Mark.

Reply to
Woody

In what post did I make this statement? Perhaps you have me confused with someone else?

Reply to
J. Clarke

What's flawed about the logic of expecting engineers to design tools so that they don't destroy themselves in normal use?

Reply to
J. Clarke

The manual on the Makita referenced above indicated that the control was for differing blade diameters rather than the miter angle (adjusting the thing for every angle would be a PITA).

I looked quickly at the DW717(?) but didn't see any mention of a depth stop. I've never used a decent SCMS, so didn't know about such a feature. I'd likely never use it, preferring either a table saw, router, or RAS, in that order.

Reply to
keithw86

Yeah, it has a miter slot. Damned useless when I want to chop of 2' from an

8' x6"x2" piece of oak.
Reply to
dadiOH

Let me try to explain the major flaw in your logic. You said in an earlier post "However if it cannot withstand without damage any force that the motor can produce then it is a poorly designed piece of crap."

With that mindset automotive engineers had to have known that there would be an occasional accident with their products. Of course they knew this. Then, by your logic they should have designed the cars, should an accident occur, to need no repairs, right? Therefore, if what you said had even the slightest bit of credibility you should be able to explain the existence of automotive body shops.

Please enlighten all of us as to why there are automotive body shops or any other repair facility for anything. According to you, nothing should break.

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

What you need is a better miter gauge or sled. ;~) I was doing almost that a couple of weeks ago. 2, 1x6 oak 8' long with 2 more the same size clamped in front. Basically I had a 2x12. I needed all to be exactly the same length. I clamped all the pieces together so that they would not slip and then clamped the group to my miter gauge. A friend arrived as I was getting ready to make the cut. I told him to not try this at home. All went well, no excitement and I ended with what I expected.

Reply to
Leon

I know I am. Please fix your newsreader.

fix what?

Reply to
Leon

You said,,

Uh, we aren't talking about "every type of undue stress caused by idiots or the uninformed",

I said that I thought that we were talking about someone using the wrong blade on a tool, which would possibly cause undue stress.

Reply to
Leon

Not properly quoting the post you are responding to, it isn't offset by '>' or another generally accepted character.

Note, just pointing it out, in my opinion your knowledge of the subject (woodworking) offsets this deficiency. ;-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

The manual on the Makita referenced above indicated that the control was for differing blade diameters rather than the miter angle (adjusting the thing for every angle would be a PITA).

Ummm... comprehension...

The manual you are refering to indicates the need to check the "Lower limit position" when installing a "new blade", not a smaller blade. That is the instruction for maintaining maximum cutting capacity. When an old blade is sharpened time and again it becomes slightly smaller in diameter. You need to readjust the maximum depth for maximum cutting capacity. That adjustment is for that particualr blade. When you put a new blade on it will be slightly larger and the adjustment will need to be performed again to maintain maximum cutting capacity.

Farther down where I referred is the Stopper Arm instruction. This shows the swing the arm with thumb screw and how to adjust for different depths of cut.

Reply to
Leon

I was just poking the bee's nest again. ;~)

Reply to
Leon