Radial arm saw versus 12" compund sliding miter saw question.

...my shop is the size of a garage and my 66 takes up alot of space...I use the SCMS for bulk-cutting and the occasional miter, comes in really handy for "outside" work, it amounts to what my RAS would do if I had one (and it's on wheels)! When I do close-tolerance work I'll do my cross-cutting on the TS, most always...the depth stop on the SCMS comes in *very* handy. So much of my work is time related 'cause it's my business...

I love it when I get to play around, but it hardly ever happens...sniff...

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:18:43 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

Yabbut, unless you're a millionaire...

You'd think that, at the price they get for these things, they'd at least have proper translations for the manuals. The one for the chop saw is 135 pages long. It contains 13 pages of untexted illustrations

  • 11 pages of instructions/warnings...in each of 'lebenty seven languages.

-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

We "millionares" can figger it out, right Swingman? LOL

With Festool the manual is something you read at night when it is too dark to work with the tool. It is not really necessary. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Far from being a millionaire, but I now own three Festool tools ... and that's going to change, probably again today. :)

I'm about convinced a Rotex is in order for annual end of year "buy a tool or give it to the government" exercise.

Festool quality reminds of the 50's "Made in USA" ... but there is nothing like it in the USA today. Anything I consider not an expendable item in the shop will be on the order of Festool, Fein, Veritas, Omer, et al, if I can swing it.

Tools seem to be a good barometer of the decline of this particular period in our culture ... "Made in USA", as far as tools go, is predominately nothing but a crock of shit today.

Haven't had to read a Festool manual yet for operations, except briefly for the diagram that familiarizes you with the various knobs and dials ... operation is nothing but intuitive for anyone with a basic familiarity with tools.

Even the plunge saw requires only a few minutes with the manual before making NO, or hardly any, sawdust. :)

Reply to
Swingman

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 08:54:40 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

Nuttin' like curling up with a good...manual? OK, if you say so, Leon.

-- To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive. -- Robert Louis Stevenson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I just got the Festool Trion jigsaw in the mail today - took one cut, checked out how easy it is to swap blades, cut square as can be, systainer. Sheesh. The first one isn't free, but Festool is definitely a drug. I'm beginning to understand why people buy the older Festool catalogs on eBay.

Anyone want to buy my Dewalt jigsaw? Thing's like new. ;)

RicodJour

Feel your pain ... my first is a TS 75, guaranteeing the slide down that slippery slope is past the point of no return.

Reply to
Swingman

I just got the Festool Trion jigsaw in the mail today - took one cut, checked out how easy it is to swap blades, cut square as can be, systainer. Sheesh. The first one isn't free, but Festool is definitely a drug. I'm beginning to understand why people buy the older Festool catalogs on eBay.

Anyone want to buy my Dewalt jigsaw? Thing's like new. ;)

You are the first that I have heard about buying the jig saw. Glad to hear that it too has as good of a first feelings report as the sanders, saws, vacuums, dominos, SCMS, router, hand planers.....

I don't know if you have the Festool vac or not but if you do and hook it up to the jig saw let us know how well it contains the dust.

It is a slippery slope.

Reply to
Leon