rabbeting bit set vs. dedicated bits

I notice I can buy either:

1) A flush-trim bit and a dedicated rabetting bit or 2) A rabetting bit set that has multiple bearings so it can vary the depth of cut from 0 (flush) to 1/2".

It's probably a little cheaper, and more versatile, to get the bit set. I've seen them by Freud and Woodcraft for about $45.

Are the sets as accurate as the dedicated bits? Is it a huge pain to have to swap bearings to change the depth of cut, or is it no harder than adjusting a fence? Will it flush-cut as accurately as a dedicated flush-trim bit?

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
Michael Press

Michael Press asks:

Some will. My biggest bitch about ANY router bit set with extra bearings in different sizes is the need to keep track of another bunch of small bits and pieces. I sometimes think that's a major part of my workshop time, arranging bits and pieces...which I then can't find the next time I want them.

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

The good ones are, as well as some cheap ones.

Not really. One allen screw. Leave the wrench with the bit, and it will take less than 30 seconds.

See the first answer.

FWIW, I have a few flush trim bits, a rabbetting set, and a few dedicated rabbet bits. For example, the most common rabbet I seem to cut is 3/8", so I bought a dedicated version of that size.

Over time, I've needed different length flush trimmers, so I've bought them as required.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .