Aldi Drill Bit Set

Did anybody buy the 42pc set that went on sale 28 Jul, for £6.99 ?

Just wondered if the bits are any good.

..or does anyone have any sets to recommend.

Reply to
Paul S

I have one next to me. Though I have not actually used any of the drills... The case is good quality, and well designed, for this price point. Bits are easy to remove, but turning the case upside down, and shaking does not cause any to come loose.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

pmsl, the case can be made of silver, but its the contents he's asking about the quality.

Bit like buying a car without an engine...its useless. :-)

Reply to
ben

Well... sort of. =A36.99 for a decent case to hold a 42 peice drill set =

still sounds good value to me. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just to add confusion, I've got a nice heavy cast iron drill bit 'stand' which takes all the common sizes from 1/16 to 1/2" with the sizes clearly marked via raised lettering which is painted to aid visibility, which sits beside the pillar drill. It's yonks old, but I'd love something similar for metric. I don't need a case as they stay there, and anyway most pack the drills too tightly in the smaller sizes for easy selection and replacement.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Print out a scale on your printer. Obtain block of wood. Use drills on wood, voila! :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Block of wood piece of Aluminium,pin&glue aluminium to block of wood, drill holes to suit each size drill bit,get numeric punch set and punch on each hole size,get candle and wax over aluminium,get tin of white spray paint,spray aluminium, when dry heat aluminium with candle so that wax melts off aluminium. VIOLA! :-)

Reply to
ben

All that work, and you only end up with a viola! I'd've expected at least a 'cello!

Also, you wax the aluminium, paint he aluminium, then you heat the aluminium so that the paint slides off the aluminium with the molten wax? Why?

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Well if you cant work it out? then...

It leaves the indentations from the metric punches white for visibility purposes. :-)

Reply to
ben

The wax in the indentations melts, the paint is on top of the wax, it will come off. We use wax as a mask, but we have to ensure that no wax gets to the surface upon which we want pint to remain.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Unfortunately, not as stable as a cast iron one. Drills 'stored' vertically like this need a very stable base, unless you intend to fix the stand to something, which wouldn't suit me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Obtain several thin strips of wood. Clamp drills between bits of wood, so all the shafts are vertical. Grease the ends. Dip in molten lead, and allow to cool.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You don't have an old cylinder head, hacksaw and file? You have the drills for the holes... Might need to anneal the lump first, have a good bonfire. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I haven't had a car with a cast iron cylinder head for many years. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How about Dribble's Prius, or would that just give you even hotter air?

Reply to
Matt

Such wit. Duh!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I have just broken the first drillbit (4mm) However. It stood up to a hell of a lot of abuse, including drilling through a screw accidentally, before finally throwing in the towel due to me bending the drill a bit much while it was in the hole. Not exactly an in-depth review, but...

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I'd say anything that lets mistakes like that only cost you 17p has to be good value.

Lidl have a set of forstner bits in a liddle wooden box for not-very-many quid, I noticed today. Next week at Lidl is exotic fruit week, they also have 2 sockets on a spike for the garden, with a timer and 2 metre cable for 6.99, 5 litres fence scumble wood preservative

4.99, ABC dry powder fire extinguisher 4.99, and boxer shorts for 99p.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Having said that, the wood bits are sharpened by a monkey. The 10mm bit required about 10Kg of force on the bit to actually begin to cut in soft pine.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Work a treat too, got a set thinking they might come in useful, re-enforcing a door I needed to sink some washers and nuts to clear the frame, no probs, great value for the money!

Reply to
Badger