toilet offset from soil-pipe/running supply pipes inside wall

I am thinking of installing a new washbasin and toilet in the downstairs cloakroom. I have a couple of questions. The room is approx

2.7 metre by 1.3 metre. I'm hoping someone can help me with the following:

1/ The toilet is at the 1.3 metre back wall, but the soil-pipe (which goes vertically into the ground is offset from the centre of the wall (ie it is 55cm from one of the sidewalls, rather than 65cm). Is it possible to install a toilet midway along the back-wall without moving the soil pipe, by using some sort of flexible connector?

2/ The existing washbasin is approx midway along one of the 2.7 metre walls. Currently the supply and waste pipes run along that wall from/to the end wall. They are attached to the wall and are boxed in. I think the boxing-in looks a bit ugly, but so would exposed pipework. Is it feasible to run the supply and waste pipes within the wall itself, which is a stud partition? If so, I was thinking of attaching the wash-basin taps/spout to the wall rather than to the washbasin. In that situation, can one attach them to the normal wallboard or does one need to construct some sort of framework for them to attach to behind the wallboard?

thanks in advance..

Reply to
julianl99

Yes. Have a trip out to your local Wickes/B&Q or whereever. There is such a thing as an offset connector. I am not sure whether it will give you a full 10cm of adjustment though, but being practical about it, there is no reason you have to situate the toilet centrally, the centreline of the toilet can go to within 12" of the wall. Otherwise you can get a flexible pipe that will take up any adjustment within reason. If I were you I'd get the offset connector and put the toilet where that takes it!

No idea about running pipes in a stud partition. Since pipes are routinely buried in walls I can't see any reason why they can't go in a stud partition. As for the taps, I'd imagine you'd need new taps and a new washbasin for your plan. I'd be tempted to put some sort of decorative strengthening on the front of the wallboard ( I assume it's plasterboard? ) to take the strain.

Reply to
andrewpreece

A concertina type connector will do the job. It will also resolve the issue of you having a soil pipe positioned so that it will mate with a S type trap (i.e. a vertical discharge one) rather than the far more common P type you get on most WCs today.

Supply pipes - yup easy enough. Waste pipe - will depend a bit on how thick the wall it. The minimum size for a waste pipe from a basin in

34mm diameter. Should be easy enough to loose in a 4" thick wall (*as long as it is not loadbearing* - don't assume stud walls are not - they can be). Might be a bit harder if they are thinner.

What is under the floor? Another option is sometimes to run down in the wall and then into a floor void with the waste pipe.

Another option is to make a feature of the piping. Do it all in chrome and it can look quite attractive.

You probably want a noggin to mount the basin on anyway - so you may as well provide support for the rest of it. Where did you want the tap controls mounted? In the wall or on the basin.

Reply to
John Rumm