mlcs router bit set

Any opinions on the 66 piece mlcs router bit set for $190. It seems like a fairly good deal for the weekend woodworker.

noway

Each bit will probably stay sharp as long a razor cartridge.

Reply to
Dhakala

MLCS stuff has had middle-of-the-road ratings for inexpensive bits in various places I've seen. For occasional use, you'll probably be happy....it is a lot of profiles for a pretty inexpensive start.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

You won't use 52 of those bits and the quality is so-so. You're better off to buy a dozen high quality bits that you'll use all the time.

bob

Other times this issue has come up people have reported that the bits are smaller than the normal priced mlcs bits.

Reply to
toller

The difficulty arises in determining which bits you will be using all the time since you don't have them to find out.

Reply to
George

that's ass backwards thinking. decide what you want to build, then figure out what tools you need to build it. then go get the ones on the list you don't have yet.

if the set was free having a bunch of unused ones sitting around would just be wasted space, but if you have to pay for them, then they are both wasted space _and_ wasted money. and being cheapo bits, the ones you do use will do a lousy job and wear out quickly.

Reply to
bridger

RE: Subject

If you have extra money you want to piss away, then buy the MLCS set.

If you DO NOT have extra money you want to piss away, then DO NOT buy the MLCS set.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Have you never cut a piece of wood and after doing a round-over wondered how it would look with a different size? Or a contour instead of a roundover? You either have limited imagination, or have an absolute perfect mind for design.

OK, they are not the best quality bits, but having a few extras is not such a big waste of space.

I'm really happy for you that you can start a project and never make a change. I waste a lot of time doing things like that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have about a dozen or so MLCS bits and a few shaper cutters as well. They are medium duty and not bad for the price.

That said, I just ordered a bunch of Whiteside bits from Hartville since they have 20% off this month. The price difference is not that great, so why not get a quality bit if you can.

BTW, they also have a starter bit set in their closeout section for around $60 (1/4, not Whiteside).

Lou

Reply to
loutent

okay, go ahead and buy 'em. no skin off of my teeth....

Reply to
bridger

Nope.

First you learn, then you buy. Unless you're some sort of relative of Bill Gates.

Never learned a thing from a tool I didn't own....

Reply to
George

What's happened to the writers in this group? Years ago a question would get some thoughtful opinion without bitterness and/or personal attacks or ridicule. That's all I see in this group now.

I know it probably doesn't matter but I'm not rolling in money and I'm not a novice woodworker. I've been making furniture for our house for ~25 years. I have the basic tools, nothing fancy, and make do most of the time.

I wanted some honest opinons. For those of you who gave them thanks. For the others, well I'm glad that your so much superior and better than me. I wish you well.

I'll think twice about another post in this group.

Sadly I'm gone.

"Dhakala" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
noway

In my short tenure thus far making chips and dust as well as mechanicing on the vehicles or anything else that requires the use of tools I've always bought what I need when I need it. Course I don't have a huge shop with lots of storage space. Check-book ain't all that big either. I will splurge once in awhile when that "too good to pass up" deal comes along (which isn't often) if I have the spare cash and I know it's something I will use. I really do not need any more cheap tools. I need stuff that lasts. Besides... you can buy more stuff if you're not busy buying stuff to replace the stuff that wasn't good stuff ;-)

Aloha... Craig

Reply to
MakaNui

Bye.

Reply to
CW

I always buy the Katanza bits from MLCS. They are as good as anything on the market.

Dave