Re: Morse Desiign Acou joint Finger Joint Jig

Did you ever get permission to copy the instructions for the accu

not sure what a finger joint is differs from a knuckle i guess

Reply to
Electric Comet

It's similar to a dovetail joint but square.

Reply to
Kevin Miller

Identical to a box joint, only usually called a "finger joint" when used to join two boards together, end to end.

Most paint grain trim material these days is finger joint stock.

Reply to
Swingman

Square would be a box joint. Although Leigh Jigs calls their template a finger joint jig, it is actually box joint jig.

Finger joints are pointed.

Reply to
Leon

Actually, finger joint, only good fro straight joints.

Box joint, can be assembled 90 degrees.

Leon

Ah. Quite right...

Reply to
Kevin Miller

It's like biscuit cutter, it does not cut biscuits, it cuts oval slots.

Reply to
Leon

Wait, what? Dang. I just ordered one for my wife's Christmas present. Guess I'd better cancel! :-)

Reply to
Kevin Miller

Nope. Not always, the tines on a box joint are called "fingers", and that is why "box joints" are also known, traditionally, as "finger joints".

The method, and nomenclature, predates the modern factory produced incarnation, and internet/Goggle, by a long shot.

Here's one of our favorites discussing his "box joint" jig:

Swingman

A Festool Multifunction (dining room) Table?

Reply to
krw

different from a box joint i guess or just another name for a box joint have seen jigs made on youtube

Reply to
Electric Comet

i have seen some very intricate joints used for joining boards end to end i wonder if those are considered finger joints

they require a special machine/cutter

Reply to
Electric Comet

So uhhhhh should Dove Tail joints also be called Pin Joints? :-)

Reply to
Leon

A special machine/cutter, like a router and router bit?

krw

If you want to join boards end-to-end, and you have a 4 inch wide board? End-to-end joining is also critically dependent on alignment, you cannot tolerate a kink at each joint. I envision a special machine with a gang of saw blades, a long fence and clamp for the board, that raises the blades through the work to make a cut.

The router-bit solution will work for a shallow cigar-box, and take a jig or well-appointed router table to make accurate joints.

Reply to
whit3rd

Ok, but I consider a router/bit a subset of table/router/bit or jig/router/bit. The point being that it need not require a "special machine".

Reply to
krw