Vix bits vs. "Hinge" bits

I've got a set of hinge bits, or centering bits, but man they are pretty crappy. The spring gets all mushed up and the bit won't go back into the shaft (or the shaft won't go back down around the bit). Has anyone else had this problem? Do the real Vix brand Vix bits work better? Or is it just something you have to learn to deal with? The ones I have are from LV, btw.

Thanks.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I find Vix bits work very well, except when wood is gummy and it plugs the flutes. I have had mine for 20+ years and a simple cleaning and a squirt of TopKote keeps them going. Nothing else I have tried works as well.... for me.

Reply to
Robatoy

Jay Pique wrote in news:45f8f3ea-3eaf-4373-9b96- snipped-for-privacy@b38g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I have the same bits, from the same place, and the same gripes. One of the guys I work with has another brand - I don't know if they are Vix brand or not - and they work consistently well.

Do not construe this as a general complaint against LV products - I have many and they are among my most used and best loved tools. But this set of hinge bits have sucked from day one.

Scott

Reply to
Elrond Hubbard

You might leave your comments on them with LV. I know they don't like to stock products that don't work well. You never know what kind of response you'll get.

Reply to
Upscale

I also have the same bits, never had a problem with them.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

I have a Craftsman set (3 sizes), screw driver bit on one end and drill bit on the other and they have always worked well and never given me a problem, They were around $14 apiece if I remember right, I've used them in a commercial shop for 4 years up till I was laid off couple months ago. I'd buy them again if I needed any CC

Reply to
CC

I use Rocklers - they work fine. I have no idea of what the price comparison is

shelly

Reply to
sheldon.mandel

The ones I have from rockler get jammed up, the flutes get plugged up and then it can't spring back down all the way.

My workaround is to just start the hole with that bit, going in a 1/4" at most. Then I go back with a normal bit to get to the right depth. It's a lot faster than trying to hold the sleeve up and pick out the jam in between every hole at least.

Reply to
LEGEND65

But are they self-centering? I have something similar that will drill a countersunk screw hole.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

I bought a few cheapies from Lowes a while back from the clearance table and had the same problem. Fixed it by unscrewing the sleeve and cutting the spring on one and changing the spring on the other. They work fine now.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

I have the Lee Valley bits. I used them to change about a hundred hinges on some cabinets. They worked OK, but every couple of hours I would have to disassemble them to lubricate and clean out metal particles that they were grinding up where the parts rubbed. I just about wore one out. They should be built to not self destruct so fast.

I bought a few cheapies from Lowes a while back from the clearance table and had the same problem. Fixed it by unscrewing the sleeve and cutting the spring on one and changing the spring on the other. They work fine now.

Reply to
EXT

To keep these type bits cleared out use the fastest speed drill that you own, typically a regular rechargeable drill does not spin fast enough however a rechargeable impact driver is typically OK. Don't waste time, drill the hole quickly and pull the bit out, this will help prevent the shavings from "packing in".

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for the replies. I'll try cleaning them up and stuff and see if a change in technique helps before springing for a new set.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Yes, they are self centering.

3 different sizes. this is the ones I bought

tool part # Craftsman Compact Drill & Driver Set Sears item# 00964332000 Mfr. model# 64332

Link to part

have a cheaper 3 part set that looks like a cheap set to me also. CC

Reply to
CC

I have the Vix bits,they often do the same thing when chips don't clear the bit. I've never really seen this as a major problem, a quick tug on the shaft and it's good to go. The application for the bits doesn't really see a very high volume of holes at any one time, so it doesn't really slow things down.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Why not send them back to Lee Valley and ask for a refund - if they get a lot back, they may try finding a better product

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

They don't look like self centering vix bits. Vix bits have the drill bit hidden inside a case that has a rounded base that self centers inside the hinge hole. The bit is spring loaded and when you push on the drill the bit comes out and drills the hole perfectly in the center of the hole. I have an old set of these I think from Sears, and never had a problem with them. I also have a really really old metal counter sink that has a metal point that retracts into a self centering case that you hit with a hammer. I guess that was used before some now millionaire invented the vix bit.

The Sears item #00964336000 Mfr. model #64336

at amazon:
you are using is a counter sink drill bit.

Reply to
Jack Stein

That is what these do. They have the holder, which is like a socket, The vix bit on one side of the insert and the driver on the other, You switch the insert around to use which ever side you want, The self centering spring loaded drill bit is on one side, the other side is the appropriate sized driver for the screws that you would use for that size hole, CC

I have an old set of these I think from Sears, and never

> or at amazon:

Reply to
CC

> they have a cheaper 3 part set that looks like a cheap set to me also. > CC

That links to a counter sink and pilot bit with a driver bit that fits over the bit.

Reply to
Leon

There is no Vix bit in the link that you provided.

Reply to
Leon