Hand auger bit set?

Hello to the group, Can anyone give me a heads up on the quality of the auger bit sets sold at Lee Valley? I have been searching for a set of (new) auger bits for use with a bit brace and so far have only come up with the same sets offered on Amazon from several different locations. One site has an 8 pc. 24" auger set for 59.00 but they all look to be the same quality one could expect from Harbor Freight/Northern Tool etc.. I dont know for sure but thats just my assumption based on the pictures and price. The Lee Valley bits, again just from the pictures, look like they may be of a bit higher quality and given they are from Lee Valley I would hope so. If anyone had any other suggestions for sources of new sets it would be greatly appreciated. I have spent a lot of time searching the archives and the net but the selection seems to be very limited.

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
M&S

I would like to know too. The flea market/ebay idea doesn't appeal to me much.

Reply to
CW

Hopefully they'll be on special at the grand opening of the first LV store in Saskatchewan in a couple of months, just a few blocks away from work.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Wellll.... it doesn't work for everyone, but I have bought some wonderful Irwin bits that were in the 20 year old range on EBAY. I know you will receive many warnings here about the people, products and auction process at EBAY, but for me it works great.

In fact I got three really nice sets of old bits, two were Irwins in the wooden box, and one was an old Millers Falls. I paid about 35 bucks plus about 20 for shipping to the 12 pc. (the nicest of the group) that was some kind of anniversary set issued many years ago. I am not sure there was ever a hole drilled with any of them, and the old timer I bought them for as a gift was completely thrilled.

I went on to buy some really nice ratcheting braces for him on EBAY also.

As far as the HF - Northern bits go, they are great for a couple of holes in white pine or styrofoam before they are dull. Make sure you roll them across the counter or something like a tablesaw table. I think maybe one in ten is actually straight.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Obviously the single flute are much better than the contractor style.

more. Read the text. Lee Valley has a quirk in its catalog explanations: they tell you what you're getting, instead of tossing you a hard sell.

And there's another thought: you can't lose. If you don't like, LV will refund shipping as well as the price. IIRC, they refund shipping both ways, too.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I too purchased a very nice old, and apparently unused, set of Irwins on ebay - took some doing though to get a decent set under $50 (mine cost $32 plus about $10 shipping). Nice box too.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

Greenlee makes good _adjustable_ ones. Pricey though.

Quality -sets- are not easy to find.

OTOH, the BORG do carry _single_ bits that are of reasonable quality.

A good full-line hardware store -- _not_ one of "know-nothing" franchise/ co-op operations -- can probably order for you, if they don't stock.

And there's always the 'industrial' suppliers like McMaster-Carr. (sit down, apply seat-belt, *before* looking at prices.)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Valley? I have been searching for a set of (new)

sets offered on Amazon from several different

be the same quality one could expect from Harbor

based on the pictures and price.

bit higher quality and given they are from Lee

sets it would be greatly appreciated. I have spent

very limited.

These are the best on Earth:

center bits are single flute but double cutters/spurs. These ones are double flute, cutter and spurred. A set of 13 will cost around $350 but you could cop an original set on eBay for say up to $100-$180, bidding (a Russel Jennings set).

The cheapest way on eBay is a nice condition set of Irwins in an original box, lots of those show up there, and there are several online sellers of basic solid center bits with double cutters. Highland hardware, Jamestown distributers, and Bits 'n' Bores have them new.

You're looking at "ship augers" which have a single cutter and spur, and without tapered square heads for the chuck, I wouldn't buy those.

Reply to
AAvK

Oh... and this is the eBay catagory:

Home> Buy> Collectibles> Tools, Hardware & Locks> Tools> Carpentry, Woodworking

Reply to
AAvK

AND, looks like Irwin still makes em

AAvK

You've been on these long brad point drill bits for two weeks now and you've received quite a few suggestions.

Do you actually have a project that needs them?

Reply to
Upscale

I have quite a few square head augers actually. What I requested info on was "where I can find the great deal" on extra long HSS (specifically) brad point bits, but what I need one for is the holes for bench bolts. You know... the bench you showed off has them... (he he). Going straight through the tenons to the nut hole, which is what I'll do.

I really don't trust myself to drill them straight with an auger. So I bought a dowl-it (old and used), hopefully that'll work. My 2101 brace will hold a straight shank bit, no problem. I bought a bit though, 1/2" x 10" long HSS brad point with 7-1/2" distance of flutes, made by WL Fuller.

Reply to
AAvK

Yes, they do. I looked on their site yesterday. Fallowed every one of their "where to buy" links. Nobody carried them.

> --

Reply to
CW

CW man, read read and read everything previous. And I bet if you called the Irwin company they would work out a way for you to get a set bro, really. Any company that sells Irwin can order them as well ('cept maybe Sears). Just ask.

Reply to
AAvK