In Alberta up until 1969 (when I left) There was an official whom we
called "Purple Charlie". He roamed the country checking every town and
village for purple gas. He'd start at one end of the street with a
large syringe with a rubber tube and check every gas tank. Farmers
were allowed to use "purple" in farm work vehicles but not their cars.
The fine was quite heavy. Farm gas was ordinary gas with purple dye
added and was less costly, hence the fine.
When I was a kid, anyone who caught another person unscrewing a gas cap with a
syringe or hose in his hand was subject to one helluva tongue lashing at best.
In some cases, a but kicking ensued, and in others, it was a simple matter of
calling the cops.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell
Yeah, I find it hard to believe that someone with a tube
would be unscrewing gas caps. Guess the Cannucks are
different. Just touching another person's car was
considered bad manners, but unscrewing a gas cap? In 1969,
I had a 1964 Chrysler 300 and never remember a person
touching it without asking permission. No body in the U.S.
would be checking gas in private cars without a search
warrant where I live.
I remember when I was in the military several of us were
walking down the street in New Haven CN in 1959 and stopped
to look at some rich kids Ferrari. Heck most of us had
never seen a Ferrari. Two seconds after we stopped to look
(no touching), we heard a yell, "Get away from the car.
And, we did, right quick.
The LV stuff is denatured ethyl. I buy it when I can combine the
shipping costs with other stuff, but by itself it's too expensive.
As I posted earlier:
Rubbing Alcohol Compound, United Pharmacists brand, packaged by RW
Packaging (in Manitoba... No address but postal code is R2R 1V7). 95%
No problem with using methanol. Depending on your needs you might find it a
better solvent than ethanol due to it's lower boiling point (evaporates
faster). I'm not 100 % sure, but the solubility of the shellac flakes in
methanol might be better than in ethanol.
It's a little amusing the responses contained in this thread regarding the
toxicity of methanol.
I am willing to bet that if the op was about using mineral spirits or
lacquer thinner, toxicity would nerver be mentioned.
Just dont drink your solvents or bath in them and you will be ok. :)
Relative toxicity, and there are a lot of other things he's _not_ using, I'm
sure, which of course is not worthy of comment.
http://www.bazellracefuels.com/Methanol.htm Check that bit about the odor
threshold, and the ability to get a lethal dose from mucosa and through the
This is some truly bad sh*t, which does the same job as its less toxic
cousin(s), one of which is even available in "food grade."
Thanks for all the comments. Comments in general seemed to think it
would work fine so I used it with shellac flakes on a small cabinet I
built for my grandson, it works fine. I don't spray and as with any of
the solvents we use you take precautions.
Having worked in nuclear plants for 27 years and continually taking
safety courses, when I started woodworking after retiring my first
purchases included an air cleaner that hangs from the ceiling and gets
turned on whenever I am working in the shop, a dust collector and a dust
respirator. Once I started doing finishing I got a chemical respirator
and the cartridges get changed regularly.
Since my 25' x 25' shop is in the basement I'll spend the extra and use
the denatured alcohol LV sells in the winter when I can't really vent
the shop outside like I do in the warmer weather.
No problem but there are two issues you may want to consider.
1. Methyl hydrate (methanol or methyl alcohol) is significantly more toxic
than ethanol (ethyl hydrate?) or denatured alcohol. Be careful with the
2. It has been reported that a shellac film made from a methanol solution
is slightly more brittle than that made from an ethanol solution. If this
is not a concern for your project, don't worry about it.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.