putting a header for a window

I took it to mean amount of power, not quality of installation.

If for no other reason than liability.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Sat, 04 Jul 2020 10:47:31 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Dad had an office built for my sister which was "a trailer". Hitch, Axle, the whole megillah. Thus "removable". That it was embedded in the concrete deck was a minor issue. I'm figuring "post & beam" means that it is "portable" (for some values). (I have this idea to run a steel I-beams crosswise under the wooden beams, attach a "wheel unit" at each end, and roll it "over there".. Plan B would make 4 robots to pick up each end of the beam and "hup, hup, hup!" walk it to "over there". With the proper modifications, could convert a Shipping Container into a travel Cottage, and the 'bots could take it off the truck and place it on the camp site. Vary the Livery on said bots and I have guards / servants / minions standing watch. BWahahahaha!)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

DerbyDad03 on Sat, 4 Jul 2020 02:22:00 -0700 (PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Because the main difference is I don't have the bond / license. I have known enough folks who did/do know what they were doing to rewire their house, and by placing a receptacle where the power from the street will get plugged in. Thus, the entire house was "an appliance". (Likewise I heard the inspectors tell the department head, that if he hardwires the new lathe, it will cost minimum of 1500 to get it inspected and signed off on. OTOH, if he has a plug attached to the wiring so that it just plugs in, the same inspection and certification is $500.)

Last but not least: this shop shed was wired when we moved in. I have moved where that conduit enters the revised shop, reconnected the fittings inside the shop, and it works. There are, however, "issues" and I would like to fix those. But first, I will have to clear what's against 'that' wall anyway, and I want to change the bench around, and while I'm doing this, might as well do that, and would building my squad of minion bots to move the entire thing 'over there' be a workable solution? {If I win the lottery, I'd just build the temporal transmorgifier, and hand me my "improved" plans for the two & a half car garage, rather than simply buy a 'new to me' house and move all this there.)

And such is my Wife's reasoning.

Leaving wires exposed is a Bad Idea. Rednecks will do that, but I'm just a good old boy.

Yep. I can read the code myself, and I know people in the field. I talk to them, I ask them. When I couldn't afford the paperwork, I didn't do it. Now, there is a possibility I might, and so will get my work inspected. Because otherwise, I'm using an improvised power supply to the shop and study. Industrial grade extension cords are still extension cords.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Sat, 04 Jul 2020 10:49:41 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Yes. While I'd like to have a full up shop(s) {woodworking, machining, foundry, welding, composites, CNC, electronics, and lasers. Definitely lasers.) a) space and B) that old power supply. Ideally, I get a commercial space already wired and plumbed. Because I doubt I could get commercial grade power to my "garage", even if I do get a second feed just for me. So, a 20 amp circuit it remains.(I've checked at The Box.)

Right, and as long as it is her name on the Deed and mine isn't, I have to be careful about such issues. We have a cat, so there is no doghouse where I can book an extended stay.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

When I built my shed neighbors asked if it was "the doghouse" and I replied we has 2 cats, and no way on Gods green earth would my wife let me build a "cathouse"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Why am I hoping to see this in a new video from Boston Dynamics?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I have a friend that, other than pouring the slab and having the framing installed professionally, built a really nice post and beam house, essentially by himself.

He had a sunken dining room off the kitchen, with floor to ceiling windows that looked out over the stream running through his property. It had an adjacent sitting area with a wood burning fireplace, a beautiful chandelier, a huge table that he had made, etc.

His construction loan was coming due and he hadn't yet installed all the receptacles in the dining room but he had to get an inspection so he could get a regular mortgage.

He was good friends with the inspector and had asked him for advice and guidance throughout the build. If I told you some of the features he built into the house, such as an elevator run by a 12V winch to bring wood up to the first floor fireplace, you'll understand that the inspector trusted him to do everything better than "just the minimum required".

So the inspector comes over, looks at the gorgeous dining room and says, "You know you need a receptacle every 6 feet in a dining room, don't you?" My buddy says "Oh...ummm...err...It's a closet!"

The inspector smiles and says "Well, you don't need any receptacles in a closet. Let me know if you decide to turn this into a dining room at some point." He then checked the box and moved on. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Irrelevent. DBP's cite was spot on to answer the question posed.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

When I was in college, we owned a mobile home. According to state law, as long as we kept the hitch and wheels on it, it was considered personal property not real property, so wasn't taxed. BIG savings at a time when I had no money. We figured that it averaged $106/mo (IIRC); a lot less than any apartment in the area (it was a while ago ;-)

Reply to
krw

That's only one of the problems living in a totalitarian city. Where I've lived, they want an inspection when a building permit is needed but otherwise it's not needed for electrical work. There is no need for licensed electricians, either, as long as you're doing the work for yourself. I've added, I think, eight circuits (two 240V) for my shop. Unfinished basements are a big advantage. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I'm surprised that any jurisdiction allows that sort of electrical work - without inspection. ... does your home insurance company feel the same ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Electrical inspections are not actually about the tradesman or homeowner or cousin Billy-Bob who may have done the work .. all are totally fine here. Insurance companies have their own requirements - also unrelated to any local " legalities ". John T.

Reply to
hubops

Essentially same here -- homeowner can serve as the contractor on own residence/property, just have to get the permit and inspection when permit needed.

I generally don't bother other than when did hire contractor owing to size of the entry-way and other work project we did last year kicked in the need....but still did the electrical work myself.

Reply to
dpb

I've done quite a bit of electrical work in my house over the years and have helped a few other people out. I always make sure I understand what the code is for each project and I always follow it.

In another newsgroup, in a galaxy far, far away, there was an electrical inspector that answered just about every question related to electrical work.

I saved his email address and when I got ready to install the inlet and panel interlock for my generator, I contacted him. We traded a few emails and he was immensely helpful in making sure I got it right. He even supplied a few part numbers for me to look up so I knew exactly what I was shopping for.

2 power outages later, I'm real glad he was available to help me out, even if he was a few thousand miles away. While I was doing to the work, I was confident that I was doing it right and that made me confident each time I used the generator set up that is was safe and properly installed.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 7/4/2020 10:44 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Indeed, he of whom you speak is quite good and undoubtedly would be helpful off list as well.

I follow Code altho I don't use latest revision as my reference.

I wouldn't do work elsewhere that needed to be current-Code compliant; I don't know it that well and don't care to do so.

Since the house project was rework of existing, inspection didn't require updating to current Code. If had been forced to, would have to get by...

Reply to
dpb

pyotr filipivich wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Last time I laid out my shop, I did it with Sketchup. Some of the components were just quick sketches (shelves and things--why spend more than 10 minutes on them?) and others were downloaded from the 3D warehouse.

It's a lot easier to move a mouse than to move a jointer!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Sat, 04 Jul 2020 20:04:30 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

It is called "working with the rules". Friend retired to Greece, got a house built there. Because of the way the code was written, he got "final inspection" once the walls were up. Before power and water, and windows, doors, and possibly the roof were installed. And his house was appraised as such, which set his property taxes. Then he went and did such finishing touched as putting in the windows, putting down flooring, adding lights and electricity . .. I also recall seeing houses with rebar sticking up oout of the top wall. Because that way the house was "unfinished" and thus taxed at a lower rate. Lots of design features which have their roots in avoiding tax.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca on Sat, 04 Jul 2020 20:18:01 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

What the city doesn't know about,the city doesn't know about.

Same goes for the insurance co. I'm not saying it is a wise idea, but not everybody without a State Issued Certification is a fumbled fingered idiot. (And there are some people I'd rather have do the work, than trust some random guy with the certificate.)

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Snow is not a major issue here.

And now I am getting concerned because what was planned, and what is likely to happen now, are three different things.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Puckdropper on Sun, 05 Jul 2020 17:40:32 GMT typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Yep. Although I'm old school. Shapes (to scale) cut from graph paper, moved around a drawing of the room/space.

Of late, I have done the "furniture/object" is N inches (round up), and that adds up to (punch Calculator) __ leaving enough room for that to fit there, and gappage between things because you never know. Then draft them up on the Rotring board. Yeah, some day I will have to learn Sketchup or equivalent. OTOH, for me, I don't need precise drawings, just some idea of what it is I intend to do.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich