putting a header for a window

I believe you described this edifice as a "shed", by which I assume you mean as in "shed to store a lawn mower" rather than "shed to store the Hindenberg". What are the actual dimensions? It makes a difference in how much load everything has to support. And how much if any snow do you usually get? That also makes a difference.

Reply to
J. Clarke

UBC tables link...

Can get by w/ 2x4 OC for roof-ceiling assembly or attic assembly only. If attic, can only be 32-ft span.

Any more would need 16 OC to meet code.

Reply to
dpb

A typical "shed" is not subject to code in most localities you know.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If it's over 100 or 120 square feet or has water (or in some cases even electricity) it needs a building permit and needs to meet a minimum "code" (needs an engineering pass)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Ours is 108 sq. ft. 9 x 12 OK

10 x 12 = need a building permit. John T.
Reply to
hubops

And does that describe typical sheds?

Reply to
J. Clarke

On 7/2/2020 10:02 PM, J. Clarke wrote: ...

I'd wager that isn't necessarily so, but the point isn't/wasn't whether the particular is or isn't subject to Code.

It's at least reasonable to check on what UBC says is minimum just for knowing whether one decides to follow or not.

Does sound somewhat skimpy depending upon just what it actually does consist of in the upper "loft".

Reply to
dpb

Personally I'm an engineer--I'm happy to do my own stress analysis.

But the fact is that none of us have enough information to answer the question and so we should be asking for that information, not shooting from the hip and giving answers that may be ludicrously overconservative or may be dangerous depending on what he is actually describing.

This is a "shed": So is this:

Reply to
J. Clarke

I assume that you are talking about your justification, not making a all-encompassing statement. The codes are stricter in my town. Don't even get me started on fence codes. Whoops too late...

The code in my town is 6' up until the back line of the house, 4' along the side and no fence past the front the line of the house. Corner lots have to go through an exception process.

In my case I have an addition on the back of the house. It's half as wide as the house and situated on the east side. The house to west of mine was built on the rear of the lot, so they only have a front yard, no back yard. It's also much smaller than mine (used to be a guest cottage). So basically, the view from my back yard, looking west, is the side of the cottage and part of their front yard.

I went to the town for a fence permit so I could put a fence on the west property line. A 6' foot fence in my back yard would add privacy, especially for the portion of their front yard that runs alongside my back yard. After all, in theory, a fence should add privacy between the parts of the lots where people hang out.

However, the town, in their infinite wisdom, stuck to their code and said that the back line of my house is the back line of the addition on the east side of the house, therefore I had to drop the fence on the west to 4' at that line. In other words, the rear part of my backyard could have a 6' fence, but the front could only have a 4' fence. Basically, there would be no real privacy between my back yard and the neighboring front yard, which is essentially their back yard, from a "hanging out" perspective.

I waited a year, then put up a 6' fence all the way to *front* line of my house, no permit. That blocks most of the neighbor's hang out area. It's been 25 years and no complaints.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

So'm I...but he's done gone and one what has done and certainly posting link to the UBC tables isn't recommending doing something.

The one recommendation I did give would be stronger that what he started with whether it's up to Code or not it wouldn't be worse than existing.

Reply to
dpb

If you want to see just how little, the Sagulator will easily show nothing. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Yes.10X12 is a small "shed" in extra-urban areas. I am in town on a

1/3 acre lot and my shed is 10X10 and the roof is 15X15. Many "potting sheds" will have water. Many sheds have electricity.

Also, regardless of size if it has a concrete foundation it requires a permit here,

Reply to
Clare Snyder

J. Clarke on Fri, 03 Jul 2020 10:33:11

-0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Best friend at church is a Civil Engineer. And he also makes note of the necessity of knowing the jargon: That is not a rear deck and dock. That is a 'wildlife observation platform".

And the repairs to grandpa's cabin to bring it up to code and wind up with a building that's a third larger than the old one.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

DerbyDad03 on Fri, 3 Jul 2020 07:33:17 -0700 (PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

I'll keep that in mind. I want a fence, she wants a tall fence. IF for no other reason so that people don't have to see the pile o' stuff in the back of the yard. "I got in touch with my inner redneck, he say "Surely we can use that for something!"

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

J. Clarke on Fri, 03 Jul 2020 01:51:15

-0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Depends on the county/city. maximum size, or if it has water. Or how much power. Trust me, as much as I'd like to just wire it to "good ol boy" standards, SWMBO is of a different mind.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca on Fri, 03 Jul 2020 01:27:37 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Ayup. IF I'd built this at the old place, it would have been subject to county rules. 200 sq if you ask / are noticed. I could have gotten a Shipping container in for "less". But in the city, more rules, smaller outbuilding. And a shipping container has a six month or end of the project time limit.

yep.

I have consensiously^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H studiously avoided bringing this to officialdom's attention.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Sonny on Thu, 2 Jul 2020 12:06:37 -0700 (PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Hmmm. I'm not sure I want to put a 5' opening in what is an eight foot wall.

But it sounds cool.

OTOH a more "right sized" window - complete - 2nd hand at the Habitat for Humanity store is

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

J. Clarke on Thu, 02 Jul 2020 21:10:51

-0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

It started as a ten by ten. I replaced the foundation & flooring (5/4 T&G iirc maybe more), added a six foot "extension" to make it 10 by 16. I forget exactly how high the loft is, The Walls are

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Why would you possibly want to go "good ol boy" when it comes to power?

Seems to me that power is the one thing that you don't screw with. You are not the only person who could get hurt. Suppose there's a fire or you get hurt while in the shed? It doesn't even need to be related to the power. The emergency personnel aren't going to know where you cut corners when you installed the power. They may rush in looking for the disconnect or catch their equipment on that unsecured piece of Romex or step in energized water or whatever.

Things that can kill you - or more importantly, that can kill *others* - should be done to code.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Check for other loopholes, as well. One for mar neighbor (we moved, they didn't ;-) built their shed on a gravel base and raised the wood floor off the gravel to get around the concrete floor definition of a "building".

Reply to
krw