Plyboo ... firsthand experience wanted

The glue will be Cat Pee based. It will outgas for a thousand years. The kitchen will be declared a Superfund Site and even escapees from FEMA trailers will not enter it.

Reply to
LD

Kinda where the rubber meets the road on any project, eh?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

We were discussing the enviromental cost!

How much fuel does your ship use - per container mile if you like. How much CO2 does that put into the atmosphere compared to using plywood made locally.

Reply to
Stuart

I understand that it grows rather quickly, perhaps you could garden some up for the job and reeeeeely be green. ;~)

That aside, labor pricing should probably be higher to cover the added expense of cutting plugs to cover screw holes etc. I doubt you would want to putty bamboo and I have never seen remade bamboo plugs.

If you go that route, the bamboo, you will probably have an audience including me.

Reply to
Leon

how much plywood is made locally in the US?

Reply to
charlie

"charlie" wrote

U.S. Forest Products Annual Market Review and Prospects,

2005-2008 James L. Howard Rebecca Westby

"Hardwood plywood production, including core material such as softwood plywood and OSB, was estimated at 1.6 million cubic meters in 2007, down from 2006 production. Hardwood plywood imports increased 13.8% in 2007 rising to 4.8 million cubic meters when compared with 2006.

Softwood plywood production was 10.8 million cubic meters in 2007, according to APA-The Engineered Wood Association (2007). This level of production was 8.8% below

2006. The volume of softwood plywood production fell throughout the 1990s, and the decline has continued through 2007. Softwood plywood production for the first 5 months of 2008 decreased by 14.7% compared with the first 5 months of 2007. The APA-The Engineered Wood Association's forecast that plywood production would decrease in 2008 is supported by the decline in production during the first 5 months of this year. Softwood plywood imports decreased in 2007 by 41% compared with 2006 data, while softwood plywood exports increased the first 5 months of 2008 by 40.3%. Plywood exports to Canada increased by 60% during the first 5 months of 2008 compared to a year earlier, and plywood imports from Canada decreased 35%. Apparent consumption of softwood plywood is expected to decrease in 2008."
Reply to
Swingman

thanks. looks like demand is way down.

however, the pertinent keyword is local. none of that is local to me, nor to the OP who is in texas.

Reply to
charlie

I love Columbia's description of the "new hardwood plywood"

want to start selling us grass disguised as hardwood plywood.

I still want to see a sheet or two of this stuff. Might be the new wave in building materials.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Living in the UK I have absolutly no idea but you appear to have plenty of timber.

Reply to
Stuart

Perhaps a few comparisons will help.

Population:

UK: 50-60 Million US: 310+ Million Canada: Approaching 30 million (90% live within 30 miles of US border)

Land Mass:

Don't have the numbers handy, but US operates daily across 3 time zones not including Alaska, Hawaii,

Canada operates across 10-11 time zones. (Granted Canada's high latitudes have something to do with this)

US plywood mfg source of lumber:

NorthWestern US and Western Canada which combined is probably at least

2-4 times the size of the UK as a guess, subject to confirmation.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Over 33 Million

Land Mass:

Eastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific, I count 4.

6 time zones add Newfoundland and Atlantic, to the US list. Also latitude has absolutely nothing to do with time zones, it is all based on longitude, with local adjustments, provincial, state, country borders and the like.
Reply to
FrozenNorth

Brain fart on my end.

Don't do any business in Mountain zone.

Each time zone is 15 degrees of rotation.

Distance across the surface of the zone measured at equator is much larger than at high latitudes.

Same number of square miles measured at equator requires fewer time zones than when measured at higher latitudes.

Has nothing to do with the angular measurements of the time zones.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

None near me, in the Northeast US.

All the plywood I can buy is either Chinese, from Chile, or from western Canada.

How much plywood is made in the UK?

Reply to
B A R R Y

One of the issues is Chile is exporting plywood as the country is ideally suited to fast growing hybrid pine trees used in modern operations.

OPEC owns the lumber and plywood operations.

Sold in Home Depot as I recall.

Mart>> "charlie" wrote

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

East Texas as well as the deep south produce a lot of ply, Telephone poles and posts. The paper industry is all around us as well. Power cost is the limiting factors.

Mart> "Stuart" wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Having read this I see you haven't got an experienced post yet. I do electrical primarily lighting. Customers come up with all kinds of crazy products. I tell them I can install it but I have no relationship with the suppliers so I can't guarantee it and they might want to supply the materials themselves.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Tue, Nov 25, 2008, 6:15pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) did sayeth: LOL! ... hey, Bubba, that sure was a purty poem you posted over in ABPW!! :)

Ummm, been smoking the sawdust again? I posted that in rec.woodworking. Glad you liked it tho.

JOAT Where the choice is between only violence and cowardice, I would advise violence.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Reply to
J T

All of my local sources have it, as well as lots of pine doors from Chile.

Reply to
B A R R Y

"J T" wrote

Oh dear, my goodness gracious, I really must schedule some face time with my dealer!

Damn Windows Live Mail!

What can I say ... being the sentimental guy I am, it brought tears to my eyes.

BTW, getting any more of them old cars out of your yard? :)

Reply to
Swingman

Fri, Nov 28, 2008, 7:27am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) did query: BTW, getting any more of them old cars out of your yard? :)

Heh heh. Glad you asked. A couple anyway. But the important one is out of my older son's backyard, where it's spent a few years. The younger son is crew chief, and driver, on 3 mud bog teams. Their season is now over, and he got it moved to the shop they use. This was last weekend. He says it sould be ready for the road in about 2 weeks. He's taking out the 350 crate engine, putting new seals and all in it. He picked up the Lunati cam from the hous today, along with a transmission cooler. He bought the cam for me several years ago, and it's been sitting here since. For those who aren't in the know, even the Lunati street cams are considered a bis radical by most builders. If I recall right it's got a Q-jet on it too, my favorite carb, lve the soud of those big secondaries kicking in. Apparently he plans on tuning it and dialing it in with a laptop. AND, he plans n putting a 6 lug Izuzu axle, with disc brakes, and around 4.70 gears under it, with a locker; apparently he already has a line on one. Once it's all together he'll truck it over to an exhaust shop, and then it's road time. Gas mileage will suck, but it'll be worth it in fun value. The sucker was fast when the older kid had it, with clapped out 350, it'll be wicked fast now. If the Cazr Gods, Manny, Moe, and Jack, are smiling I'll have it in time for my birthday next month. What a wonderful 68th birthday. Hehehe That thing is going to be about a perfect sleeper. But I'm sure some dip stick will call it a "rat rod". I'll try to get some pictures when it's done. I hope to be hauling ash before the first of the year.