Any experience with pullout cabinet pantries?

Hello all:

Any experience with pullout would pantries? I'm considering either building one. The alternate I'm considering involves individual pullout shelves.

For those who you who maybe call it something else, here is one from Home Depot:

I was visiting with some friends who remodel their homes recently. When they asked the contractor to put one in, the contractor said that they get too heavy and could fall off. And he advised them to put in individual pullout shelves.

Thanks!

Deguza

Reply to
Deguza

Seems like over time it could become troublesome if you put a lot of weight on it. Rating is 450# though. I'd want to see one in person first, but I like the idea.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

ng one. The alternate I'm considering involves individual pullout shelves.

hey asked the contractor to put one in, the contractor said that they get t oo heavy and could fall off. And he advised them to put in individual pullo ut shelves.

I've used ones where individual shelves pulled out, similar idea, but not t he whole unit. Whole unit, idk about the total weight, loaded that whole un it would have a lot of mass, depending on what you put in it. They are conv enient. How well a particular one is built will of course vary.

Reply to
trader_4

  From a cabinet maker's POV - Make the slideouts in 2 sections , with 2 pairs of 200 lb full extension drawer guides per . I would NOT trust a volume manufactured cabinet , custom built will prove the better value in the long run every time .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

ding one. The alternate I'm considering involves individual pullout shelves .

they asked the contractor to put one in, the contractor said that they get too heavy and could fall off. And he advised them to put in individual pul lout shelves.

Well, I decided to go with individual pull-out shelves--there will be five of them. One of the reasons is that one side of the pantry is against the w all, so I can never look inside a full pull-out pantry from that side. With pull-out shelves, I can at least stick my head on top to get a full view.

I have chosen the following slide: Richelieu 2-Pack 22-in Drawer Slides (10

0 lbs. capacity)

(

)

Any comments on these slides?

Thanks!

Deguza

Reply to
Deguza

I'm not familiar with that brand , I think they're overpriced . Take a look at these -

  no brand name iin the listing but they look pretty good too .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

ilding one. The alternate I'm considering involves individual pullout shelv es.

en they asked the contractor to put one in, the contractor said that they g et too heavy and could fall off. And he advised them to put in individual p ullout shelves.

ive of them. One of the reasons is that one side of the pantry is against t he wall, so I can never look inside a full pull-out pantry from that side. With pull-out shelves, I can at least stick my head on top to get a full vi ew.

(100 lbs. capacity)

Those are cheap! $72 for 15... However, reliability is unknown :( Some no-n ame items can be good, but then some are just are for looks.

Thanks!

Deguza

Reply to
Deguza

You can get white or black for about a buck more :

The zinc looks too industrial, to me - unless in a workshop ..

John T.

Reply to
hubops

I agree, zinc-plated ones do look industrial. When I worked for a hi-tech company some decades ago, we used them to attach our power supplies to a rack.

I like the whites.

Thanks,

Deguza

Reply to
Deguza

  Those look exactly like the hundreds (thousands ?) of guides I installed in a major millwork shop ... and they're rated a hundred pounds , I doubt you'll overload them to the point of failure with a shallow drawer/shelf . This ain't rocket science .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

If you can find a place to compare 100 vs 200 lb. slides - just pick them up and compare the weight - not a scientific test for quality - but lots more steel ...

I worry about the screw-size and anchor material and installation for a long pair of 200 pound slides ... they are very beefy ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

Oren posted for all of us...

Smart thinking...