performax sander question

It's not a complicated machine. My experience:

only thing I need to add is that the shaft decided it wanted to move on me, 4 set screws be damned. I didn't file a flat for them as I didn't think there was much of anything that would make the shaft want to go side to side. And the set screws fouled up the shaft to the point I can't get the bearings off it to file it now. I added in a spacer between the drum and bearing and that keeps it from going in the direction it kept wanting to go before. Oh, also had to lock another nut against the cap nut on the height adjuster to keep it from unthreading when lowering the table.

Some of my experience goes against a lot of the prevailing wisdom, mainly the support of the table at the front and the motor mounting, but those seem to work fine for everyone else.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Mine is still fairly new, but having read a lot of reviews I got the impression that most problems people were having were caused by not understanding how the machine needed to be set up, which isn't difficult. My experience so far when working under 26" is that if its set up correctly you dond have to change anything other then the angle of the board when you feeed it in.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Not to mention that IT'S FREAKIN' SANDING!

I totally agree about taking your time, but does _anyone_ actually enjoy sanding?

Reply to
B A R R Y

The warm fuzzies would pontificate it's not the destination, it's the journey ... BS! Sanding is a lot like having to do all that you have to go through just to get laid ... IIRC.

Reply to
Swingman

So if you are of the female persuasion you may enjoy sanding more than the typical man? :~)

Reply to
Leon

I really do not mind sanding. I used to hate it. Truly having the equipment that gets the job done in a timely manner is key. I do not cut corners on sanders and go with the ones that have stood the test of time.

Reply to
Leon

Actually, what would you want to bet that is not far from the truth?

Sounds like a good prospective thesis for one of those government funded grants.

Reply to
Swingman

There's a good question for "ACQ Nancy".

Reply to
B A R R Y

I should clarify that I don't hate sanding or scraping, as long as the project is a jewelry box or end table.

Lately, most of my work has been large, so even with good equipment and supplies, it seems to go on far too long.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Dang, you lost me on that one. ACQ?

Reply to
Leon

I guess it all depends on how she holds the sander.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

It isn't really a groove, it is an unsanded area. If you are sanding something 24" wide on a 16" machine that means 8" is unsanded on the first pass. When you flip it for pass #2, you will get an unsanded area again *IF* the drum is not dead level or is too low on the outboard end. _____________

You can but those dimensions are way too much. It would take bloody forever to sand out on a panel of any size.

You want to set it as close to level as possible, just a *tiny* bit higher outboard. Easy way to check is with something flat, smooth and at least 16" wide - draw diagonal pencil marks across it and sand so you are barely sanding...lets you see how much is being taken off each side and you can adust the drum accordingly. When you can just barely remove the pencil from the inboard side and almost from the outboard you have it about right.

BTW, when sanding stuff materially wider than the drum it is a good idea to support what is hanging out the end. Additionally, you can apply up/down pressure as needed on what's hanging out should the drum be out of whack.

Reply to
dadiOH

She's the sock puppet from a recent thread on cutting pressure treated lumber.

Reply to
B A R R Y

OK, now I've seen posts suggesting, as above, to set the outboard end higher, presumably to allow for sag. There have also been posts suggesting that the outboard end should be set lower to combat flex.

Either the opposing posters have different sanders, or the rest of us haven't a clue which is right.

I may have missed it, but has anyone quoted what Performax says? I don't own one but our store does sell them so I'd like to know what to tell the customers.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Depends. SWMBO doesn't seem to mind sanding the breadboards with the old Rockwell speed bloc.

She puts the boards in her lap....

Reply to
George

Yeah that sander goes way back. I bought my first PC Speed Bloc in 1989 and it pooped out last yrear. I bought another just like it. That sander is a work horse. If you do not see a cloud of dust coming up from it, it needs new paper.

Reply to
Leon

I don't find them for sale used! I think that speaks for itself. Doesn't it? I am looking for one and was trying for used, but no luck.

Reply to
<woodman1