overload protector tripping

I recently purchased a used jet contractor saw and I'm having trouble with the overload protector. It first started tripping a couple months ago when I was ripping some 5/4 hard maple. I figured that I was just pushing the saw a little to much, so I let it rest between boards and was able to finish my cuts. Tonight however, it starting tripping while I was cross cutting some pine, and then it started cutting out with no load at all.

The motor spins freely by hand, and I aligned the pulleys when I got the saw. Is it possible that I have a bad overload protection breaker?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
arnolfini

I had a similar problem. I disassembled the motor, cleaned all the bearing surfaces, relubed everything. If you have a motor with ball bearings replace the bearings. And clean everything.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Possible. Is the motor hot? That's what the breaker's trying to control. If the motor's hot, look elsewhere for the source of the problem, it's doing its job.

Reply to
George

The motor casing doesn't feel hot to touch at all.

Reply to
arnolfini

Are you using an extension cord to power the saw? If so, what gauge wire is the cord? If used, an extension cord for a 110 volt 1-1/2 HP motor should be fairly short and of a relatively large wire gauge. Probably at least a #12 gauge wire and no longer than about 12 feet. Jim Seelye

Reply to
seelyjv

Extension cord is the most likely problem. I had to by a 14 guage cord (wow! $$$) to run my saw until I got around to running a 20A cicuit out to my garage. Voltage drop is very real and can easily burn up a motor.

Reply to
RayV

Thanks for everyone's help.

I was able to measure the current the saw was pulling when the overload protector tripped. It measured 10.8 amps, which was much less than I expected. However, the overload protector was quite hot. I ordered a new overload protector from Jet and the saw has been running smoothly ever since.

Reply to
arnolfini