OT: What good are the random searches in NY?

Get over yourself already, FFS. His question about your age, as he explained, was so he would know if you had experienced a particular series of political historical events in person, or if you had read about them as history. It's what's called a "framing question".

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Uh oh. Now he's gonna think I was trying to frame him.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Sorry, my bad. Didn't consider the audience.

Why are you trying to frame the guy, Doug? Seems more like a unibody type to me...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

American gothic, ya know?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Plenty of other places in the newsgroups for this diatribe. Take it someplace else next time. Just because you say OT does not make it okay to post your bitching here.

This is rec.woodworking - the bullshit is in the other newsgroups for your reading pleasure.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

uh, we already covered this earlier...

Dave

Reply to
David

And you are intruding into a clearly marked OT thread. so are you more right than the rest of us who are enjoying a bit of discourse??

Dave

Reply to
David

Yes. There is a reason _why_ Usenet is divided up into many newsgroups.

Some of us who enjoy a bit of discourse are less enamoured of anarchy than you seem to be.

Reply to
fredfighter

Or belts.

Reply to
Doug Miller

As I said...take your BS someplace else troll....

Reply to
BobS

This a terrorist weapon now? Sounds like bad stuff. :)

Reply to
CW

I have an idea. Why don't we feed them the protesters?

;-) Glen

Reply to
Glen

Or disposable plastic cups. Folded the right way, you can cut meat with the resulting point. Or throats.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Damned near everyone on any conveyance carries weapons and no one thinks of taking them away. Any pen, particularly ball points, is an effective stabbing weapon, as are pencils. You would simply not believe the damage you can do with a thin newspaper, rolled up tight--or one of those inflight magazines. Shoe laces are effective garrotes, as are some cheap necklaces strung on nylon. The list goes on. It isn't endless, but it's longer than most security guards have to deal with these days.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Unless they work in a public school. :-)

Reply to
Dhakala

Even mentioning newsgroups in mixed company could produce enough illness to be disabling. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

David wrote: ...

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

We are not giving up an essential liberty, but are obtaining long term safety. If carrying these bags works out to be a great way to make an attack, then we are going to see no end to them. That would not promote liberty or safety.

There are rules governing which bags may be searched, and how they can be chosen. There are limits to how our liberty is limited.

Michael

Reply to
Herman Family

Dave H., you're wasting your time. remember that this is bay area dave you're arguing with....

Reply to
bridger

Reply to
rarely