OT: Somebody's got some 'splaning to do

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

AKA "When in Rome...."

Reply to
Robatoy

They were in fact the first humans to fly.

The principle of the Wright Brothers flight was already documented by Daniel Bernoulli (Born 8 February 1700 Groningen, Netherlands). All the Wright Brothers did was prove him right... he handed them a blue- print in how to fly..so what did they invent?

Reply to
Robatoy

Bernouli had long been proven right. The Wrights were just the first ones to:

- do the engineering needed to design the wings, - figure out how to *control* the process (wing warping was the major invention) - and most importantly, get a power plant with sufficient power to weight ratio

Reply to
krw

When in Rome, so you turned around and started mopping the floor with your...? You Dutch folks are strange.

-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Google "Dutch Inventions and Discoveries"

You need an edumukation.

Reply to
Robatoy

The engineering to achieve heavier than air power flight, but wing warping with the rudder was the "invention" that made controlling the aircraft attitude easier.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

I guess robatwit thinks that some ancient Chinese put a man on the Moon. After all, that ancient Chinese had a working rocket.

Reply to
J. Clarke

And THIS is what you do and what makes you so disliked around here: you assume to know what it is somebody thinks. Sir, in my case, you neither have the ability nor the capacity.

Reply to
Robatoy

Strange needn't be unimaginative, y'know.

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The rest of us have him twit filtered. Why don't you? If you dislike him so much, why are you replying to his trolls? DFTFT PHAFH

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They did a wonderful job applying someone else's original thought. The light bulb was a true invention. An original thought developed into a world-changing idea. Rockets have been old hat for centuries, all NASA did was develop the concept to the n-th degree. The space program was filled with inventions which made all that possible, from computers to material sciences, but the root concept was at least a thousand years old, if not more. That cannot be said about the lightbulb. Velcro was a rip-off from a thistle....no pun intended.

Reply to
Robatoy

Yes, that's why I said "engineering", not "science".

No, that was hard-knocks engineering. No theory at all; technicians' work. Everyone know how to make a light bulb. No one knew how to make a practical bulb. The process was simply trial an error.

Sure. Goddard did the first liquid-fueled rocket, some thousand years after the first solid-fueled rocket.

The space program provided billions of bucks and more importantly a challenge; a reason to invent, as it were.

By that logic, there are no inventions.

Reply to
krw

In the middle of the project I began racking my brain trying to remember whether or not I'd buttoned the hip pocket I kept my wallet in. I had, but after that experience I started carrying left front.

My thyoughts Zackly at the time!

It's amazing how rapidly it stops by its ownself when a woman is whispering "miss you! miss you!" in yer ear ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Paper clip. Maybe. Most other stuff is found in Nature. Including the arch.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Not a first but an accomplishment using matirieals and construction techniques of the time.

Wing warping had been used before but had not been patented. The Wright Bros. patended it.

The engine they built was their most notable achievement.

Reply to
CW