OT: Somebody's got some 'splaning to do

You would think that the green countries would have learned mo better by now. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Same thing happened in Liberia then?

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
krw

English language became with a little time...

'Course, with most of the manufacturers "somewhere else", we may lose this "battle"...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

the USA. (Though not for everything of course)

Reply to
Larry W

Some of the scienterrific equipment that we work with uses both metric and imperial. For example many of our high pressure pumps have settings for milliliters per minute flow and PSI for pressure. The German made pumps use Torr for pressure. From casual conversations with other techs, flow and volumes are easily understood unsing liters, etc but pressure is still pounds per square inch. Lengths are metric unless it's shelving or furniture or "how far is the bathroom from your lab" type comment. Marc (who wonders how boring life would have been if we always used metric. Think how unemotional the cliche "Give him and inch and he'll take a mile" would be if it were converted to metric?)

Reply to
marc rosen

of us are using both: whatever method works whenever.

-- If you're looking for the key to the Universe, I've got some good news and some bad news.

The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.

The good news: It was never locked. --Swami Beyondananda

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I am also reasonably certain it isn't as big as it appears in that global projection...whatever projection that might be.

Reply to
Robatoy

Spanish customary units in Central America, despite the official "metric" status.

Belize still sells gas in real gallons and speed limits are in mph while Guatemala and Panama sell gas in puny gallons. Woodworkers everywhere use pulgadas (inches) and centimetros, and most tape measures I saw in hardware stores had both inches and centimetres. In Cuba, I guy a talked to mentioned needing 2 pulgada nails for the house he was building.

Central Americans also use a Spanish yard, known as a vara. In Costa Rica, their eminently droolable-over wood is sold by the "pulgada", which is one nominal pulgada (inch) by one inch by four varas long. It's a little less than a board-foot. $3.00 per pulgada at the sawmill for some incredible tropical hardwoods. I gotta figure out a way of bringing back a container load or two.

In Italy, my plumber cousin measures his pipe diameters in inches, but the lengths are in metres and centimetres. In France, where the whole metric thing started, one does not order 500 grams of whaterver food at the butcher or grocer, but "une livre", a pound of whatever. In Canada, our residential construction is still in inches and feet. The attempt to hard convert plywood and to move to a 100mm module instead of 4 inches failed in the early 80s.

And let's not forget the US was the first country to implement a metric currency, in 1792. They replaced the old "reales" or bits --

1/8 of a Peso or Dollar -- with cents.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Maybe the Americans will learn to use the English language one day ??

Reply to
George W Frost

I am also reasonably certain it isn't as big as it appears in that global projection...whatever projection that might be.

**********************

It certainly looks big, but that is because the image is a flat image of a globe, thus making the Antarctic appear large But, I thought that Antarctica was a Continent, owned by no one in particular, but inhabited by several nations.

Reply to
George W Frost

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Larry W wrote the following:

Science and military. Oh, and one more thing, large soda bottles.

Reply to
willshak

[...]

With the metric system restraint is suggested. Using Imperial is better in many instances.

Imagine a metric clock Imagine stumping a toe on your meter. Imagine the casualties when upping the speed limit from 70 MPH to 112 KMPH. Imagine the waste in time enunciating a metric measurement.

Reply to
Leon

In Canada, we never did have, to the best of my recollection 70MPH limits, highways went from 60 MPH to 100 KPH.

Maybe if gas in the US was sold by the liter Lew would feel better about the prices. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

FrozenNorth wrote in news:io1kf2$32f$1 @dont-email.me:

?1.65/liter (In Wageningen, Netherlands, on 4/12/2011 at a Shell station, according to its web site: )

1?=$1.44 1 gal=3.8 L 1.65*1.44*3.8=$9.00/US gallon
Reply to
Han

Ackshally, the Autoroutes in Quebec did have 70 mph speed limits in the early 1970s when I learned to drive, but they brought them down to

60 in the late 70s, before they got turned to kilometres.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi