Some low-rez images.

All cropped and re-sized from a 3MP Nikon 885. Enjoy.

Robatoy

With a bit of Photoshopping, the 'Fromcottage' shot turns into my desktop:

Robatoy

Nice detail - even modded. Looks like Maine. As for the cottage view, you suck.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Its one major shortcoming. I now have a crappy $100 HP with adjustable yet non-defeatable compression - no raw mode. Even though it has far more "megapixels" than its older and nicer predecessor (which fell into a streamside 4 ft deep eddy hole carved into rock in the Sierra Nevada's, along with an ex-girlfriend), the quality is far worse. I regret not having the old camera in my hand at the time, primarily so that I could have preserved the look on her face. (Yeah, I know - I'm a bastard.)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

LOL... indeed JPEG isn't the best compression scheme (TIF/Z is), the original doesn't suffer the banding in the gradient... but then peeps would be pissed because of the biggie file size.

Reply to
Robatoy

Nice shots!

Here are a few (low res JPG compressed) from my Canon 8 megapixel SLR

GarageWoodworks

Great stuff! Love the tug shot! (and the others) I have since upgraded from my Coolpix 885 3 MP to an H2 6MP Sony with a 12x optical zoom Zeiss. It has a large CCD and is giving me some superb results. I have no way of getting those shots uploaded yet, but I have a few which really show the 6MP/Zeiss combo. My Contax 35mm still woops anything digital...but that's to be expected. As John Clarke touched on earlier, the instant shutter release is very important and my Cybershot is way faster than my old Nikon 885, but still a slug compared to my Quartz shutter on the Contax...which is instant.

Reply to
Robatoy

I managed to upload an untouched, non processed image from my H2. It came in at 3.3 MB so as long as you know.

Robatoy

I managed to upload an untouched, non processed image from my H2. It came in at 3.3 MB so as long as you know.

Ride! And nice shot.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Thanks. All are processed in Adobe Photoshop CS. The last one was a mistake my wife made by not turning on the flash in 'full-auto'. I thought it looked cool so I kept it!

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Robatoy,

Ok, they are nice images. I downloaded this one into PS:

What would happen if you blew it up to 8x10 at the same density? I did and the image deteriorates kinda fast.

The point is if you had 3x2 image and it was 1200 PPI (which you could not do with a 3 megapixel camera), and you blew it up to 8x10 and made it 120 PPI, you probably wouldn't see that much degradation.

I just took an image I had at 240 ppi, cropped a 2x3 image, made it

120 ppi and there is little degradation at 8x10. A bit fuzzy, but less so. All because I had more pixels to play with.

Nice shots, tho.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

The original was 8" x 10" at 200 DPI.. a 9 MB file. Good enough for a print of that size. I had reduced the image size to speed up the upload to the host.

Thank you.

Reply to
Robatoy

ginal doesn't suffer the banding in the gradient... but then >peeps would b= e pissed because of the biggie file size

Got that one right. Certainly a pet peeve of mine. I can't stand and won't download pics I get that are 3,4,5 mb each. The almost always come from one of my friends that is too lazy for a resize.

As far as computer viewing goes, just about any resizing or compression protocol works fine, and they are everywhere. I have one free program that offers 9 different methods just for resizing.

I would rather look at the pics at some reasonalle size and ask for the files I want.

Slow morning here. Kind of a mini rant.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41