Metrication.

Anybody ever attempt to do woodworking or carpentry using metric measurements?

I attempted it once after a fellow woodworker convinced me he liked it better and it was easier. I got so confused and gave up due to worrying about wrecking my project supplies.

I admit I have been screwed many times on using a feet and inch tape measure, like this.

- Measure fitting spot at 5'6"

- go to wood piece

- pick up other tape measure

- measure 56"

- cut wood

- fit piece into spot

- swear a lot

- remeasure spot

- wonder WTF happened?

- repeat until tape measure breaks glass in window.

Reply to
Josepi

I have worked at a couple of chemical plants that were all metric. It is far easier for me than inches/feet. I don't know why I don't use it at home other than the fact that I would constantly have to convert in order to purchase something for any project I am working on. Many things now are measured in both inches/feet AND metric, so I may have to dig out my old metric tape and have a go at it.

The other thing that keeps me from changing is the construction calculator which will do either one, but takes a lot of the worry out of calculations in inches/feet.

Reply to
Robert Allison

I went to the Foreign Depot for some two-by-fours, but they were a lot smaller than I expected...

Reply to
DJ Delorie

All the time these days

Reply to
Stuart

I would think most every one out side the US and certainly in europe the wood workers work with the metric system vs the imperial.

Reply to
Leon

To quote Dave Barry:

"Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet."

Reply to
joeljcarver

Funny I was just reading about that. This is known as the .357 magnum calibre.

"Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet."

Reply to
Josepi

I figure the North American's only need to convert the plywood and sheet goods to metric to start the whole thing off.

2x4" dimensional lumber...who cares? It is already specified as metric in code books and other documents.

The stud spacing and so many downstream items are all based on the 48 x 96" plywood and sheet goods. Chnage those and the rest will follow.

The other thing that keeps me from changing is the construction calculator which will do either one, but takes a lot of the worry out of calculations in inches/feet.

Reply to
Josepi

Yeah, about 1-1/2" (1-5/8" swelled, wet pressure-treated tubafores) by

3-1/2" since the Sixties.

-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think someone should invent/make a pair of special glasses, such that when one looks at imperial measured stuff, they see it in metric... and, with the same glasses, vice versa. That would save everyone some time and headaches.

Besides, what if we can only count up to 9?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Perfect! Metric typically uses base 10 and 0 to 9 are all the digits you need to understand!

No more dividing by 12, or 16th of an inch. We saw you cheating a few times, counting the 32nds after the inch line instead of multiplying it out and adding one.

How many times have we gone to the saw, repeating out loud, "one 32nd shy of 11/16"?

LOL

Besides, what if we can only count up to 9?

Sonny

Reply to
Josepi

The only two countries in the world that don't mandate the use of the metric system are the US and Myanmar (Burma).

Reply to
kimosabe

For the humour-impaired, they were about 1.5 cm by 3.5 cm.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Just to pick nits, a .357 caliber bullet actually does measure .357 inches. A 9mm bullet is .355 inches.

Reply to
Larry W

Crap, that's only roughly 5/8" by 1-3/8". Not even humorous.

-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

By the way, what was so confusing about the metric system for you? Hard to stop at 10?

Reply to
Robert Allison

Typically? What are some of the other bases?

RicodJour

Well, our computers use base 2

Reply to
Stuart

Never, it was always 3/32nd short of 3/4 :-)

Reply to
Stuart

Interesting read on the subject: "Measuring America", on how civilizations are built by systems of measurement and how strongly political and economic factors are involved.

Swingman