OT: Somebody's got some 'splaning to do

Quebec, go figure, mid to late 70s when I learned to drive, and that was in Ontario. I know my parents drove in Quebec when I was a kid, and my dad always cursed the province, but in the backseat I never noticed, or cared. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Yup. I lived in Montreal for 12 years and remember those 70 mph posted speeds.

Reply to
Upscale

I stand corrected. First time I actually drove in Quebec would have been around 1987 if memory serves, course nobody here is likely to correct me on that. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Like saying loo when we really mean toilet?

Reply to
Just Wondering

110 kph is normal for twinned highways here in Sask and Alta. I think the Trans-Canada Hwy is 110 for long stretches also, but it's been a while since I've driven it in the prairies.

I *think* I remember 70 mph from my youth in Manitoba, but I could be wrong.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Here the posted limit is 100 kph on major highways, but if you try and drive less than 110 to 115 you get someone running up your ass, conditions apply. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

1/3 meter =3D stack overflow.
Reply to
Father Haskell

Because the airplane was an American invention.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Loo? Toilet? Bathroom? or even the OZ Dunny

Nah, it is just a shithouse subject.

Reply to
George W Frost

A former colleague has a son-in-law who worked as a Mounti in Alberta. Word was they didn't pull anyone over on Hwy 2 between Calgary and Edmonton unless they were doing 140 or better. Too risky otherwise. This was about 10 years back, but I don't imagine it's changed...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Because the airplane was an American invention.

*******************

That all depends on whether you are talking self ( air lifted ) powered, man powered, steam engine powered, or internal combustion engine powered Also, depends on the internal combustion engine, whether it was an officially recognised attempt The Wright brothers first flight, was not witnessed

Reply to
George W Frost

Why? We speak American, a derivative of English.

Reply to
CW

That's debatable.

Reply to
CW

Our measurement system is based on metric. Our inch is defined as 25.4mm, the metric measure being the standard.

Reply to
CW

No, you're not wrong. I remember a trip from Indianapolis to Seattle, via Calgary, that I took with my parents in 1975, less than a year after I started driving. We were limited to 55mph in the U.S., but parts of the Trans-Canada Highway were 70mph. I'm pretty sure that when I drove to Otttawa in 1980, via Niagara Falls and Toronto, that the highway speed limit was 70mph most of the way in Ontario, too, though still limited to 55 here in the States.

Reply to
Doug Miller

So who outside the US made a documented flight before the Wrights?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Comes from the French "gardez le eau!", when chucking the contents of the chamber pot out the window.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Through Toronto, no way, in 1980, 401 had a 60 MPH or 100 KPH limit, I would remember that as I live here and drive the highways now. I do

*not* remember them reducing the limit.
Reply to
FrozenNorth

That's only one of many possibilities, see

it remains funny to say "Maybe the Americans will learn to use the English language one day" when so much of the English language derives from French, Spanish, German, etc.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Just Wondering wrote in news:4da543af$0$14127$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet-news.net:

It's time for this obligatory story. I moved to the US in 1969. Arriving at JFK Airport, I felt a need. However, I couldn't find a toilet or WC (the European designations I was used to), only restrooms - but I didn't have a need to rest!! Upoon inquiry, my vocabulary was expanded ...

Reply to
Han