[OT] Larry's Big Score

I dropped by one of my favorite dumpsters this morning. It's the one mentioned on this forum some weeks ago that yielded a pickup of particle board shelving and such. These, perfectly good, shopping carts were sticking out the top filled with cardboard and foam. I can envision a nice, rolling clamp card and maybe a tool stand. The wheels are in perfect shape and shouldn't be to difficult to remove. Golly, I could have my own personal cart when I go to Wally World or the Home Depot. It's even got a child seat(with safety tie down) but, unfortunately, no drink holder. Have a nice April lst.

Lawrence L'Hote

LARRY! They're procreating! That's disgusting. You oughta be ashamed! throb, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

those you pictured cost a store $200. each. I wonder what they are worth today?

Reply to
Leon

Wow! Chromed, no less. They're all being powder-coated up here in Kanuckistan. Must be the climate?

For the odd tip on fixing shopping carts, try to watch a few episodes of Trailer Park Boys...one of the characters, Bubbles, makes a living by fixing shopping carts.... if you can take the cussin'. (You know, the 'F'-word and all that... not the kind of words one hears in a wood-dorking shop when one shoves a splinter under one's fingernail, like JIMMMMMMINEEEEEEE CRRRICKETTTT!!!!...HOW CARELESS OF ME!!! I MUST BE MORE CAREFUL NEXT TIME!!!!!)

Reply to
Robatoy

"Lawrence L'Hote" wrote in news:m1U2e.125256$Ze3.83339@attbi_s51:

What good is a clamp cart that won't roll straight? ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Hmm--I know where there a a bunch of 'em with the plastic basket smashed to flinders by the snowplow but the frames seem to be OK. Wonder if it's worth collecting the wreckage and seeing what can be made from it?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Larry, Were they discarded by their owner or just by the last user? I would contact the store and ask before I cut them up and use them. But that's just me.

Dave

Teamcasa

If the wheels are in good shape I would think it would be worth the effort.

Reply to
Leon

For the two I picked up, the two straight wheels are held on with a simple bolt and nut. The 'crazy' wheels are welded to a quarter inch thick bar and that bar welded to the frame. I was able to cut portions of the basket free with a 2 ft. long pair of bolt cutters but the subframe is held to the mainframe by four 1/4" bolts that are being 'unconvinced' with a cold chisel and hammer. It looks like the hand grinder is next up to remove the bolt head. I don't have a cutting torch for my ox/acet setup or I'd use it. IMHO these shopping carts are not made to be scavenged....once they're damaged they're probably ready for the salvage yard. Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Um, given the, uh, direction of entry, and, uh, the fact that they're both the same gender, it's very unlikely to result in baby shopping carts.

Reply to
mp