OT: Don't forget to change your clocks.

Daylight savings time is here again (at least, in most of the US)

Reply to
Prometheus

I think it was Prometheus who stated:

I can't help myself; I *must* reply!

It's "daylight saving time" -- without the "s".

It's gone again -- we switched back to standard time.

Read all about it at

(feeling pedantic this morning)

Reply to
Don Fearn

Actually, we're back on "standard" time ... thank gawd!

Reply to
Swingman

"Don Fearn"

Just like "Smokey Bear" is correct its not Smokey "the" Bear.

Dave (me too)

Reply to
Teamcasa

Hell, I use up most of my day light savings setting my clocks back and forth. Ironically it changes so that it gets dark earlier for Halloween when the kids are out in the streets. DST makes Summer nights hotter and shorter. I forget, why do we rob Peter to pay Paul?

Reply to
Leon

Oh, do you only particape in day light saving for one day? I use the "s" because I observe it every day during the time change period. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

The voice of reason.

I hate DST. I hate Summer nights that are eaten up with day light. I hate changing 25+ clocks and watches, all with their own requirements of making changes, twice a year. I hate getting up an hour earlier in the Spring and Summer.

Reply to
Leon

For a time. Congress, in their ultimate wisdom, has decided that they can legislate the solar system and extended daylight saving time. Next, they will decide that this twilight nonsense will have to go and mandate that the lights will have to go out at a certain time.

Reply to
CW

I guarantee you that this extra hour of day light in the summer is the number one cause of global warming. :~)

Reply to
Leon

About as good of explanation as most they've come up with.

Reply to
CW

Hmmm. I wonder how hot it would get if they went for two extra hours of daylight?

Reply to
Upscale

What the politicians won't remind us because their hands are in a lot of pockets, is that the earth has been warming since the ice age. Global warming is natural not man made. Swedish scientists observed the very large ozone hole at the South Pole back around 90 years ago, long before we started polluting the air with modern chemicals.

Reply to
Leon

Man, I'm with you on that. In fact, I hate getting up an hour earlier at any time of the year.

Reply to
lwasserm

And record sales of barbecues.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

And next year we get two extra hours (per day) of dst. Hooray. grumble, jo4hn and what happened to God's time and why did He invent carbon dioxide and mosquitos anyway. Humph.

Reply to
jo4hn

You are leaving out a very important piece. The warming 'rate' has been increasing also.

Maybe not, but I bet we have something to do with the increase in rate.

Reply to
Stoutman

I saw something on that, but not any details. Are we changing by two hours in the spring, or are you just averaging out the time of starting it earlier and ending it later?

I'm with many of you in thinking that they should just leave the damn time alone. I work nights, and it kind of works out as daylight stealing time for me, being active very early in the morning after work, but inside in the evenings.

Reply to
Prometheus

"jo4hn" t> wrote

i knew an astrologer who said that day light saving time was the leading cause of errors in astrological charts.

You know congress is overstepping it bounds when people can not get an accurate astrological chart.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Reply to
Prometheus

I strongly suspect in the next 35 to 40 years we will be worried about global cooling again. I was listening to a scientist on the discovery channel the other day as he was discussing the fact that the ozone hole was at a near all time high. He was excited of this news as he explained that the world as a whole while cutting back on the fluorocarbons for the last couple of decades has had no effect on the hole getting any smaller. He seem convinced that this is indeed a natural phenomenon.

Reply to
Leon