OT: Battery Operated Yard Tools - Recommendations? (2024 Update)

If you are ordering an F150 and that person was me, the disable feature is only temporary, even if you go deep into the settings. Even deep in the settings the over ride is only until you restart the engine. ;~(

But that may have changed....

I have had mine for 2 years and have pretty much gotten used to it. But if I wanted I could make it a muscle memory routine to disable the feature with the touch of a button.

Fortunately it does not always shut down when stopped. If there is a load on the battery, AC, the feature will not always engage.

Reply to
Leon

I've found that simple devices are rather simple to set up, particularly Bluetooth. Using Bluetooth to set up WiFi is a pretty common thing these days.

The DIY manufacturers usually offer monitoring services, far cheaper than the dinosaurs.

Yes, but their prices aren't.

Reply to
krw

If the truck sits and normal drain on the battery for a couple of day the charge of the battery will "shut it off". There are aftermarket devices to make it stay in the mode you set the stop/start feature too.

The rangers battery would not charge more that 60%, the feature need

73% or better to work.
Reply to
Markem618

I went out to lunch with one of our suppliers last Thursday. He has a F150 Platinum (it's his company vehicle). His didn't S/S, so he must have disabled it somehow. He's the one who told me that the deep settings could disable it permanently. I'll find out in another month

- maybe (delayed once already).

That may explain why his didn't stop. It wasn't a warm day but he could have had the AC on anyway. I'd think it a huge PITA when towing. That's probably the reason for the disable feature.

Reply to
krw

Time for an Internet search. Did I say that I hated S/S yet?

Reply to
krw

Motor Trend Truck U show features one all the time.

Reply to
Markem618

But still Brinks home security seems to have issues with the wireless components.

Reply to
Leon

Actually there is a connector near the battery cable at the battery. If yuo disconnect that small cable the shut off feature is overridden. This is how Ford allows the mechanics to over ride the system when the engine needs to be running.

Reply to
Leon

Any chance that this "fix" throws a code that will eventually cause a CEL? That would be something the mechanic could clear before returning the vehicle to the customer.

On the Honda Odyssey, many of us use a resistor to inhibit the Variable Cylinder Management system from kicking in. Basically, it fools the ECU into thinking that the coolant is not up to the temperature required for the VCM to kick in. However, it does not fool the ECU enough to mess up the fuel trims.

The device is actually called a VCMuzzler. If you use too high of a resistor value for your ambient environment, you can get a CEL for Low Engine Coolant Temperature. Too low of a value and the VCM will kick in as designed. On my 2017, I need to change my resistor (plug and play) in the spring and fall to compensate for the cold weather. On my 2006, I was able to run the same resistor all year.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It is not a "fix", it is an override so that the mechanic does not to risk the engine stopping during an AC recharge or when running diagnostics.

I don't believe it sends a code but IIRC a light on the dash is indicated. But when stop start is working there is an indicator too.

So the little cable goes to a volt meter/sensor that tells the stop start to not engage if the battery is low or if there is a bigger demand on the battery. Disconnecting that cable tells the sensor there is no voltage and therefore overrides the stop start feature. Really pretty simple, IIRC that is the sole purpose of that small cable.

Reply to
Leon

.. speaking of battery operated . . . I saw lithium ion Cub Cadet riding mower in a showroom today when kicking tires on new/used riding mowers. ps - there's a bit of a shortage here-abouts < who knew >

I think that there's some serious flaws in the marketing of these .. over $ 6. grand and it looked like the cheapo _thin_ stamped steel deck ; and low-end quality in everything else .. I'll pass. Even though I'd love to have a decent quality battery rider to consider ..

$ 6. grand at Home Depot gets a Ryobi zero turn with better run-time < 100 amp-hours > but 1 year battery warranty ! Yikes ! < Cub Cadet = 4 years the battery costs ~ $ 2. grand >

Without doing any detailed math - considering the : 1. purchase cost 2. battery life 3. battery replacement cost 4. cheap construction

.. correct me if I missed something - these things have ~ zero value after about 6 - 8 years .. < or sooner > OK you saved maybe $ 400. in dino-juice <?> ; and get to shine your Green Merit Badge .. but .. .. really ?

I do hope to repair my trusty 30+ year-old WheelHorse.. eventually .. < I think it's a head gasket >

but the grass refuses to wait for me .. it just keeps growing !

John T. paid-up Green Party member

Reply to
hubops

You might want to check into the weather resistance ratings on them. Leave some of those electrics out in a rainstorm and you may have reduced them to boat anchors.

Reply to
J. Clarke

...and your point? Should I be impressed by who they (can) hire these days? The OTC home alarm systems are designed for the public to install. From what I've heard, they do a very good job.

I'd never go with Brinks, ADT, or any of the classic thieves.

Reply to
krw

I've heard similar but understood that it had other unwanted side effects. Don't remember the details.

Reply to
krw

OK. " weather resistance ratings " ... for lawn mowers ...

I'll look into that ..

It's hard to know where to start looking -

.. care to post a link or two ?

Take your time.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Ego is IPX4 rated.

For a rundown on the IP codes, see
. If you want to see the actual spec you can buy it from
for several hundred bucks.

Cub Cadet says "Never douse or hose the tractor with water. Avoid getting any liquid in the motors and electrical connections. Clean the tractor after each use. Refer to Service and Maintenance. Do not use solvents or strong detergents." <file:///I:/Downloads/Home%20Improvement/769-25913e.pdf> page 5.

The Ryobi has a label on it: "Do not expose mower to rain or damp locations"

Page 10.

Reply to
J. Clarke

So, I wasted a grand total of about 1 minute by calling Ego.

The nice lady said to return it and get another one. It's not designed to "pause" when the trigger is pressed.

At least now I know what to expect from the replacement. If it does the same thing then Ego has an issue to deal with.

Reply to
DerbyDad03