Anybody make yard tools with AC motors that don't have plastic brush holders?

I need a new electric lawn edger. No, I don't have anywhere to store a gas one.

EVERY yard tool I've bought has a universal AC motor with brush holders made out of plastic. They inevitably overheat and melt, freezing the brush. Then the arcing makes it worse. The first symptom is that it worked fine an hour ago, but is now dead. I've fixed a weed eater and chainsaw (temporarily) by filing the plastic.

Is there a brand that spends another quarter to make the brush holders out of something that doesn't melt?

I've been looking at the Ryobi string trimmers because I have some of their other tools. But, I have an older 24V lead acid trimmer. It's not nearly powerful enough. Don't expect the Ryobi to be hugely better. It's all about how much energy you can get out of a battery.

Reply to
mike

What would *you* make the brush-holder out of?

Reply to
croy

I don't know if they make them, but it is possiable to use some electronics and make the motor operate like an AC motor without brushes. Most hard dirves in computers are that way. Have not checked to see if my Dewalt drill is that way or not.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Idunno, ceramic? Anything that doesn't melt in normal use.

Reply to
mike

Ceramics would be a Cadillac choice.

Reply to
croy

Well, you seem to have a lot of opinions. Got any positive/helpful suggestions?

Reply to
mike

Black & Decker and Dewalt make brushless versions. The B&D one isn't rated very highly on Amazon. It's LST540. Dewalt calls theirs DCST970X1. Is brushless good/bad/indifferent?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Dean Hoffman posted for all of us...

Brushless is good. It uses electronics instead of brushes. Many premium tools are now brushless, expect to pay more.

Reply to
Tekkie®