Re: Gas line trimmers - need opinions.

I have/had a Ryobi 775r (accepts attachments) and the thing bumped the line fine. However, since it sat in my mom's garage for so long, the carb leaks. But it runs with some coaxing.

I went to HD and saw the John Deere recertified trimmers they had for $69. Looking at it, they are the same as the Homelite in looks, only green. The JD has a 1hp engine, and the Homelite one most similar to it was $170 and its also a straight shaft.

I looked at the JD website, and the model I got (comes with the trimmer and the brush cutter metal blade) lists MSRP as $189. It can accept attachments also.

Its much more powerful I think than the Ryobi, starts easily every single time, and is quieter than the Ryobi. My neighbor went out and bought one himself, although he didn't see the brushcutter model I had and just got the plain trimmer model for the same price (everything else was the same).

I've used my other neighbor's edger attachment (he has a Toro) and it works fine, better if used walking backwards, but since I got used to edging with the trimmer (twist the lower portion and go), I prefer the clean cut of the trimmer string. Gives it a cleaner, more pronounced edge to the grass.

I've known a person that uses the blower attachment (retail $45) and likes it. I got the Wallyworld Weed Eater el cheapy for my birthday so I'm not needing that attachment.

the .095 string is also very tough. I'm bumping it MUCH less than the .080 of the Ryobi.

Some folks would b hesitant t get the refurbished JD, but at least i know its working now (I could have gotten a lemon with a "new" trimmer that wasn't refurbished) and it still has the full warranty. Came with the sholder strap too.

all in all, if you want a nice trimmer, you might want to consider the JD ones at Home Depot.

Reply to
Vic

Refurbished is sometimes better than new. The serviceman tweaks adjustments better than the mass produced new ones. A few years ago at sears they had some reburbished stuff they wanted to get rid of ASAP. Now I don't usually believe craftsman (crapsman) is the best for any tool, but the price was right, they were outside on a rack, and each had just enough gas for me to start them. (picture a guy with a running chain saw in a sears parking lot!) Oh yes, it was a trimmer for $50 and a chain saw for $50, both with full warranty. Both of them start first or second pull, every time, hot or cold (and as for the chain saw, that also means when it is well below freezing). The trimmer bump works fine. Someone MUST have made it for sears and they just stick their name on them.

Tono

Reply to
Tono

Thanks for the suggestions.

I ended up going with the Troy-Bilt from Lowes. At $164, it looked to be the best combination of price and quality for me.

Only putting about 10 hours per year on the trimmer, an Echo seemed a bit much for my uses. Although I'm sure the quality is there, at more than $100 more than the Troy-Bilt, I just couldn't justify the cost.

I used it this weekend, and it's noticeably superior to my Craftsman, although it was noticeably louder, and a little heavier.

Thanks again,

Reply to
Paul R.