? Jam-Proof String Trimmer?

My cheapo Ryobi trimmer is a PITA! Feed failures and jam-ups are routine even with a new spool. Almost impossible to keep it working if I rethread it from bulk string.

I've got to believe there's something better out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Suggestions (besides read the manual and all the obvious)?

Thanks

Reply to
DonC

Have you seen the line that is fused together so the two lines are parallel with each other ? Looks sort of like the 2 conductor lamp cord wires.. It will seperate as it feeds out.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If you are unwilling to use the brand of nylon string Ryobi recommends, you could at least use a softer nylon.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

I do an entire acre of lawn with a scythe (it has to be a hobby to consider doing it that way) but a scythe also does string trimmer jobs.

is where I got more stuff than you'd believe ; but you need snath, blade, whetstone & carrier, anvil, bar-peen hammer. Keeping the blade very sharp is what makes it all work.

For people who think manual reel push mowers are boring.

Reply to
Ron Hardin

No, but it sounds like a great idea. Do you know what brands have this arrangement?

Reply to
DonC

Sounds like a last resort. Just before continuing to use a string jammer : )

Reply to
DonC

That's a heart attack waiting to happen!

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Reply to
Rob Mills

I have one too. I like it but I have learned not to let the two strings wear down too short. If you do, you'll wind up getting too close to something and break the string where it comes out of the spool. Then you'll have to open up the spool assembly and rewind. PITA!

SJF

Reply to
SJF

I suspect that it has more to do with the string than the trimmer. My experience is that the cheap replacement string is much more likely to jam up in the spool or break off right at the outlet point than is the more expensive name brand. Also, the .095" string that my 4 cycle Ryobi uses lasts longer and doesn't jam as much as the .080" string for the previous trimmer that I wore out.

Reply to
Bob Haar

an

The string quality does seem to be a viable issue. What should I look for? A more flexible string so it doesn't kink and jam?

Thanks

Reply to
DonC

I haven't had any problems that I would attribute to kinking of the line. What I have seen is either the line breaking off very short so it doesn't feed, or the line getting caught up on itself in the reel.

My suggestion si to buy the the line sold by by the maker of your trimmer, Ryobi in this case. Avoid all the cheap store brands. Stay away from the lines with ridges that is supposed to cut better. It is more likely to get caught up on itself.

Also, be careful when you load the string on the reel. Wrap it on neatly and don't let it loosen up. This lets the wraps get out of order and overlap in the wrong way.

Reply to
Bob Haar