Battery Operated Yard Tools California style

"Now, state officials say running a gas-powered leaf blower for one hour emits the same amount of pollution as driving a 2017 Toyota Camry from Los Angeles to Denver, a distance of about 1,100 miles."

A gas powered leaf blower uses less that a half gallon of gas in that period. (At least my Makita BHX 2500 does) A 2017 toyota may get 35 miles per gallon. so 1100 miles divided by 35mpg = 31 gallons.

burning 31 gallons of gas produces less pollution that burning a half gallon.

That is the logic that they are using to force global warming on us.

Reply to
knuttle

Do you have a cite for that "may get 35 mpg"? The highest I can find for an all-gas

2017 Camry is 33 mpg. We all know no one will average even that 33 mpg from LA to Denver. I'm not saying that CA's calculations are correct, but I'm not sure that yours are either. Facts matter.

NYS does it by the hour:

"Emissions The amount of CO (carbon monoxide) emitted from a typical backpack leaf blower for just 1 hour is equal to CO coming from the tailpipe of a current year automobile operating for over 8 hours. For the other pollutants, the amounts are even greater."

~1100 miles/~70 MPH = ~16 hours. It would be interesting to see the calculation that CA used. NYS's 8 hours is for CO, but states that other pollutants "are even greater". Maybe CA used some sort of weighted average to get its numbers. Various pollutants, various equipment, various conditions of equipment, etc., all factor in. Maybe NYS used combined city/highway (27 mpg). Still, CA's numbers do seem high compared to NYS.

CA didn't "force" global warming on us. We all took care of that all on our own.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Note that the Camry has thousands of dollars of hardware to reduce air pollution - including catalytic converters and sophisticated engine computers that significantly curb emissions.

Leaf blowers and lawn mowers do not have expensive hardware to mitigate their impact. The average leaf blower in california runs for a good 4 to 5 hours daily (most urban dwellers outsource their lawn care).

Note also that the law "phases out" new sales of gas powered lawn care equipment over a ten year period. It doesn't "ban" anything, including any existing lawn care equipment.

Indeed; and moreover, as worldwide demand builds for energy, fossil fuels will become more and more expensive due to the fundamentally limited supply and other geopolitical constraints. Look at the UK, for example. Geopolitics (brexit in this case) have constrained both supply and infrastructure unnecessarily.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

...but how much pollution is a backyard gas grill cause? Charcoal?!

How about a typical California forest fire?

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!

Reply to
krw

Yep all of us.

Reply to
Markem618

Unfortunately our society is turning into a bunch of idiots. They will believe anything.

Reply to
Leon

And yet, global warming no longer exists, it is called, climate change, what we have always witnessed all of our lives.

Follow the money!

Reply to
Leon

Or a gas furnace and or fireplace?

AND the pollution to generate electricity?

Reply to
Leon

My neighbor has a battery powered lawn mower. I call it a "Coal burner".

Reply to
G Ross

Electric anything only helps the air where you use that appliance/car/tool/etc. The pollution continues somewhere else. So that is not helping the "Planet".

Reply to
Leon

Indeed. Why is the solution to _every_ problem higher taxes?

Reply to
krw

Often, we're told, from the next storm system.

Reply to
krw

Build wind turbine generators and blades? Solar panels. LiIon batteries.

Reply to
krw

Can we just ban California?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Again, like Tesla batteries, both the car type and the absurd power walls. We don't care if the rest of the planet turns into a gigantic strip mine as long as it's the world's poor who have to put up with it. That's liberalism (i.e. progressivism) at its core.

Reply to
krw

Oh, boy! You've just conjured up all the fruits and nuts.

Reply to
krw

I wonder about the political persuasion of the owners of those strip mines.

Ya think they all voted for The Squad?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You mean the Chinese *COMMUNISTS*?

The ChiComs probably did.

Reply to
krw

Isn't that why Howard Hughes bought up Las Vegas fifty years back? When the "big one" hit California, Las Vegas would be beachfront property. Maybe global warming will cause the earthquake (which the loony leftists have suggested in like disasters).

Reply to
krw

Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I think solar and lawn mowers would make a good pairing. Mowers can charge slowly because they only need to be run once maybe twice a week. As long as the batteries aren't murdered by the chargers, it would work out very nicely.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper