What's The Definition Of 'Full Extension Slide'?

I bought this Husky tool chest today.

It doesn't say it on the website, but both the box and the label that was on the drawer say "Full Extension Slides":

The drawers are 11" deep and when open there is 2" inches unexposed at the back of the drawer.

I've got a valid beef here, right? When I build drawers with full extension slides, I get this:

(Frustrating, but the price was right and the chest fits perfectly where I want it. I wonder if HD would give me a "gift card" [$20?] if I complained. It's worth a try.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yep - I'd probably try a complaint. Any chance that they were installed wrong ? . maybe there's a second set of screw holes ? < doubtful but just a thought .. >

John T.

Reply to
hubops

It looks like the drawers on the Husky chest are recessed a bit. Does the first drawer, closed, overlap the second drawer, open?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm not quite sure what you are asking and I'm really not sure why you are asking John T and not me. In any case, I'll take a shot.

Yes, the front of the 4 drawers are inset from the front of the case by about 3/4" with a casual push to a stopped/closed position. If I push the drawers hard enough to engage a detent, the front of the handles are flush with the case and the front of the drawer box itself is then inset about 1".

As far as the overlap question, the best I can say is that none of the drawers open the full 11". There 2 1/8" left inside the case on all 4 drawers. So, yes, I guess the first drawer, closed, overlaps the second drawer, open, but so does the case itself.

Even if Home Depot claims that the 1" inset has to be subtracted from "full extension" we're still short by about 1 1/8" from "full".

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I think the manufacturers purchasing department bought the cheaper slides and did not tell anyone.

Reply to
Markem618

Well, I plan on telling someone. ;-)

Like I said, it's worth a shot to maybe get some money back.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I would too, good luck.

Reply to
Markem618

You have 3/4 extension slides.

I would return the box and get one that actually has full extension slides.

If you get money back on this one, you still have a 3/4 extension slides and those can be a PIA especially on shallow drawers. Maybe not today but one day after you have loaded that box with tools and you will wish you had full extension.

Reply to
Leon

I have this one and one I build that is similar in size.

Get this one. ;~)

Leon

All else considered - price, size, etc. - I can live with the 3/4 slides.

This 4 drawer tool chest is replacing a 3 drawer chest that is about half the size of the new one. That one only had 3/4-ish slides and I lived with it, fully loaded, for 20+ years. The contents won't change much. In fact, some items from the top of the garage workbench have already found a new home in the extra drawer

This is more of a principal thing. I tried to get some price-relief this morning but it didn't work. I'll try again on Monday.

I stopped by HD this morning and pointed out the discrepancy. The assistant manager that I spoke with said that my beef is with Husky, not Home Depot. I reminded him that Huskey is owned by Home Depot.

He agreed, but said that Husky is responsible for their own product labeling, descriptions, etc. His only suggestion was that I return the item if I didn't think that it was as advertised. I asked if he could do anything about the price and he said no.

I'm going to call HD on Monday and ask for a manager. If that doesn't work, one more phone call to Husky and then I'm done, other than writing a review detailing the issue.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

How many Domino tenons would I need to build the addition required to fit that in my garage? ;-)

Actually, there's a matching rolling bottom for the tool chest I bought. $129. Same slide issue. Could I find a use for it? Sure. Do I need it? No.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

3844 Domino's. Actually that link looks like my box but mine has 6 casters.

Consider that you never have enough storage space and the bottom chest normally does not take up any more floor space than the top box, if the top box is sitting on the floor.

Reply to
Leon

I have 4 tool cabinets 32 drawers, 3 mobile, 1 that is stationary under my work bench. The smallest drawers are on the Husky that I linked to. I have one empty drawer and that is on the Husky top box bottom left hand corner. Then there are steel parts drawers, 24 of those from my old automotive parts inventory days, donated by a vendor 40 years ago.

I do not count plastic drawers. ;~)

Would I like more storage room? Yes. ;~)

I wish you luck!

Reply to
Leon

I had a problem with the rather stupid way the local HD wanted to "replace" an incorrectly made screen in a storm window some years ago: Buy another storm window and then return the original window for credit. It's an older house and I spent time with sheet metal shears getting the storm window's frame to match the shape of the window. No way I'll spend those $$ again and have to put that much time into this - we'll just not raise that window. I wrote the CEO of HD (yes, paper letter) about their no-win process of exchange and got a letter of apology and a $100 HD gift card in return. That more than covered the replacement window.

Don't know ir they'll do the same for you but it only costs you $1 (paper, envelope, stamp) and some time. It might be in how well you present your case - I do have 8 fiction books up on Amazon ;- )

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Well, this worked out better than I expected!

As a reminder, when I spoke to an Asst Manager on Sunday, he pushed me off to Husky. When I asked for some "price relief" he said that he couldn't do that and that I could return the item if I wasn't happy with it. It should be noted that if he had agreed to some price relief and asked me how much, I would have said a $20 store card would make me happy. Strike 1.

Yesterday, I called Husky. "Sorry sir, but we only deal with warranty issues and parts. If you aren't happy with the product, you can return it to the store for a refund. However, I will pass this information on to the manufacturer to address. We don't want the incorrect information listed on our packaging. Thank you for bringing this to our attention." Strike 2.

So, one last person-to-person attempt for me. I stopped at the store this evening and went directly to Customer Service, receipt in hand. I asked to speak to a Manager about an issue I had with a product I had purchased. I don't even know if the person I was speaking to was a manager, but she asked me what the problem was. I explained the issue with the slides and then told her that an Asst Manager told me that my options were to return it or call Husky and see what they could do. I told her that I don't want to return it, just that I don't think I got my money's worth, based on the description on the box.

She shook her head and said "It really shouldn't be that difficult. Let me see your receipt." She processed a "return" for the original $89 purchase and then rang it up for $39. A $50 cash discount, not a store card. Home run!

There was another person nearby who had apparently overheard our conversation because she said "If you need my code to make this right, just let me know." I guess the Asst Manager I originally talked was just an A-Hole. I left happy and I bet that employee felt good about solving a customer issue.

Perseverance paid off.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My guess is discussing it reasonably her made accommodating you easy. Good on your persistence, $50 is damn good.

Reply to
Markem618

I discussed it reasonably with the Asst Manager and with the Husky rep. They weren't very accommodating.

I understand that the Husky rep really couldn't do anything. The Asst Manager certainty could have.

Tru dat!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On home depots page it states Regular Slides

Reply to
Mark H

No it doesn't. On the website it says "Standard Drawer Slides"

Aside from that, what's your point?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Point is HD says "Standard slides" not full extension you need to contact husky as it appears they were the ones that said full. FYI i'm not standing up for HD as I have gone to war with them !and won

Reply to
Mark H