Black and Decker cordless drill- real piece of junk!

Black and Decker (Versa Pak) cordless electric drill.

The gear system in the drill is great. Unfortunately, the electric motor is SEALED and unservicable. The carbon bushings are not spring loaded but are mounted on flimsy metal posts which quickly wear out and break off- so the bushings end up falling into the motor and ruin it.

The motor is a real piece of crap in an otherwise well built drill!

Misterfact@ yahoo.com

Reply to
misterfact

LOL ... have inherited the "dispose of at your discretion" rights to three or four of them, in unopened packages.

Have tried repeatedly, and can't even give them away.

Reply to
Swingman

B&D, a long time ago, made some good stuff. Now, I avoid anything with that name on it like the plague. What scares me is that they own Dewalt and I think they bought PC. Man, I sure hope they don't screw those up, too!

Reply to
Tex

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it! Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Well, if you don't consider DeWalt screwed up now there is no reason to think that B&D would screw them up in the future. B&D and DeWalt have been associated with each other long before the 80's.

Reply to
Leon

I can attest to that statement. LOL

What are you working on these days? I have begun a tool box, 56" tall, 42" wide, and 24" deep.

Reply to
Leon

... didn't know that it had been that long. I have some of their (DeWalt) stuff and I like it.

Reply to
Tex

IMHO, and IIRC DeWalt was only the bigger tools and when B&D went after the toaster business DeWalt started offering the smaller power tools to fill the void of a decent tool offering.

Reply to
Leon

Older B & D medium duty and heavy duty tools changed color (black to yellow) and became the first line of Dewalt along with the Elu line of tools that B & D bought out. B & D 's low grade tools were for use by the homeowner. Industry and the construction pro's used the higher grade tools. B & D industrial quality tools are as good as milwaukees. The Dewalt name is used to market the higher grade tools to the public after the B & D name was associated with the low grade tools. I have their good tools and homeowner tools. Some of their homeowner tools are O.K. . If you buy a drill and only drill a couple of holes with it you don't need proffessional quality.

Reply to
Jack

In between at the moment, but the shop could sure stand a good cleaning.

Delivered and installed the now infamous spice rack and have some trays/parts leftover ... SWMBO is jealous and wants one, but there is no place left to put it, not to mention that she wouldn't know a spice if it bit her.

If I do anymore SR's, it won't be without a 23-ga pinner but the Bostitch appears universally backordered and, just as with Rome, all roads on the net now lead to Amazon.

Sounds like it could double as a casket for twin midgets. ;)

With that bandsaw of your'n, this has got to be a veneered piece, right? A family heirloom to be?

... inquiring minds.

Reply to
Swingman

Ouuhhh.. she is not looking over your shoulder is she? ;~)

You and I should drive over to Empire tools and see what they have in that category. 6 months ago they were getting ready to move into their huge new store. They have ALL the good brands.

I am sick and tired of piling new tool on top of the pile on top of my old roll around and chest. It will be a 10 drawer unit on casters.

Sadly, no. CHEAP China 3/4" Birch caucus and Oak face frames front and back build like the cabinets we built for your kitchens. I picked up some KV 20" full extension self closing drawer slides today at Cornerstone for $84.00 for 10. I though that was a good price. I almost bought them from Woodworkers Hardware last night on sale for $104.00 for 10. It will not be purdy but it should be strong.

Reply to
Leon

G'day all, I would have to agree with the sentiments, that B&D is junk, however, having said that the exception to the rule is a 12v drill I purchased about 8 years ago. I think it is called an "Enforcer". It still goes strong and the battery still charges and holds it power. There is a bit of play in the chuck but nothing significant. and yes, I have used it more than once, actually given it a bit of a hiding over the years.

Some times a gem sneaks past the inspection line ;)

regards John

Reply to
John B