OT: Battery Operated Yard Tools - Recommendations? (2024 Update)

My 18 volt Ryobi trimmer has power-to-spare for my 1/2 acre. I usually operate it on low for everyday trimming and only go to high when occasionally into tall weeds behind the shed.

Here's another auto-feed disable video :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Thanks for the links.

However, if I go with a Ryobi kit, it'll be the 40V model which I believe uses the bump-feed method, similar to my 24V B&D.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

This is the EGO I have

best thing is how you load new "string" you feed it in the head pull through to equal length hit the green button on the head it winds it up. Way better than feeding the string onto a spool with taking it off the head.

In my eyes that is worth the cost.

Reply to
Markem618

Nothing against the EGO, but the Ryobi's do that too. This one is interesting because you can add other attachments to the power head.

I haven't compared any other specs, so I'm not saying that either one is a better deal - yet. ;-) However, the 56V EGO may be way more tool than my daughter needs, especially at $250.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Did not know Ryobi's did that good to know, sounds like a good thing you can add attachments. But I am stuck with EGO as batteries do not match between manufacturers, EGO even has a riding mower two run time but it takes four battery packs.

Reply to
Markem618

Okay fixed it

Reply to
Markem618

So I go to Home Depot to look at the Ryobi Blower/Trimmer kit. $199

I decide to give it a try and if I like it, I'll bring to my daughter this weekend. Thing is, it's all locked up in a cage. I find a guy in an orange vest who has to call someone else in an orange vest because he doesn't have the combo.

A lady shows up, unlocks the cage, looks at my empty cart and says "Do you have any other shopping to do?"

"Yes, I do. Why do you ask?"

"I can't put this in your cart unless you are checking out. If you are checking out, I can walk over with you, otherwise I have to take it over to the check out area and you can pick it up when you are ready to pay for it."

Now, there no sense in getting into a heated discussion about store policies with her, she's just doing her job. She looked like she hated even saying that to me. I decide to be nice. The box is big and bulky so I really don't want to make her carry it over to the check out area at the other end of the store.

"How about you put it in my cart and we walk over together? I'll pay for it now, take it out to my van and come back for the rest of what I need. Sound like a plan?"

She smiled. I helped her put the big box in my cart and off we strolled to the check out area. She handed me off to the person in charge of "guarding" the self check out area. I scanned the box, stuck my card in the machine and out to the van I went.

Jeez...the world we live in today.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I do not do Home Depot except for home delivery, it is a 40 minute drive and Lowes is on the way and only 10 minutes 15 if you catch the train. The HD is all self check out unless you go to the commercial desk. Lowes you have choice of self or cashier.

Reply to
Markem618

I think you will both be pleased with your purchase. I suggest you pick up a spare battery or 2... Best...

Reply to
Brian Welch

My Home Depot is closer, but I tend to like Lowes better.

Depending on how crowded it is, HD sometimes has cashiers in the main check out area. There is always at least one open at the far end by the lumber department, sometimes 2. That's the same for both of the HD's near me.

Lowes didn't have the Ryobi sets in stock. I wasn't impressed with the prices or specs on the Kobalt units, but I do like the color better. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I've never encountered that, at either place. WallyWorld will have exit police but they always just wave me by. Honest face and white hair. ;-)

I find that it varies a lot by region. In NE Ohio (Akron) Lowes was much better than HD. Here in HD's back yard, it's the other way around, by a long shot. I rarely go into Lowes anymore and I don't remember the last time I bought anything there. There are no prices on the lumber. I guess, these days, if you have to ask...

Our HD always has several lines of cashiers (at least four during the day) and several self-checkout lines.

You mean that HD didn't have the Ryobi?

I bought the Ryobi a few years ago because it fit all my MTD attachments. I couldn't use the MTD gas head anymore so went with the Ryobi. The engine was pretty well shot anyway. The little 2-cycle engines are a PITA anyway.

Reply to
krw

But you'll just have to work longer. HD blows all this stuff out right about now. It may be cheaper to buy a compatible tool just for the second battery.

Reply to
krw

Ah, that would be nice, but alas, that's not the case.

I just compared the 40V Ryobi blower to my corded blower. My corded blower is actually the detachable motor from my Ridgid wet-dry vac. I have always been pleased with the Ridgid's blower performance, but be "Jet-Fan Blower with 525 CFM and 110 MPH for gas-like power"

Maybe "gas-like" means "fart-like" because that's about how much blower performance I get from the Ryobi. In a head-to-head battle, the Ridgid kicked the Ryobi's butt.

The Ridgid is spec'd at 180 MPH but maybe that's because the tube starts at 2" and tapers down to 1/2" (0.5") at the output. The Ryobi tube is 3.5" at the output.

The Ridgid can blow the leaves off my deck through and under the spindled railing. The Ryobi just piles them up against the railing and moves them back and forth. Not enough power to bend them and push them through.

The Ridgid can begin to move a 6" high pile of leaves from about 10' away, moving the entire pile as I swing the blower from side to side and advancing. The Ryobi just barely begins to flutter the leaves at about 8'. Moving the pile would take forever since I'd have to stand very close and move very slowly.

The Ridgid clears the leaves from SWMBO's fern and plant gardens with ease. IT does a great job of clearing them from in and around the holly bushes. The Ryobi just piles the leaves against the base of the plants.

The Ryobi does have a Boost feature which increased the performance to about to level of the Ridgid, but it requires the user to both squeeze the trigger and also hold down a button on top of the handle with the thumb. Not something I (or my daughter) would want to do for an hour or more. In addition, the Boost feature makes the machine emit a high pitched whistle, annoying enough that I would need to wear hearing protection. The Ridgid is quiet enough to be comfortable and safe.

The Ryobi kit is going back.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No, I meant that the Lowes didn't have it in stock. Obviously HD had in it stock or I wouldn't have been able to tell my story about being escorted to the cashier.

My point was that I like shopping at Lowes better. (I said "My Home Depot is closer, but I tend to like Lowes better.") Then I said that Lowes didn't have the Ryobi kit in stock as a means to explain why I bought it at HD.

(And back to HD it's going. See my response to Brian.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It was said that stores vary from region to region. I have found they vary from store to store and sales person to sales person. One Lowes store emphasizes experienced older sales people. They are extremely helpful when I say I need a whatchamacallet, and tell them what I am going to use it for. There are some younger people in the same store that look at you strangely and say what you want is in an aisle of the store.

If whatchamacallet is really unique, I find the local hardware store better because of the sale staff.

Reply to
knuttle

Ryobi is a HD house brand (sorta). You're not going to find it at Lowes, just as you're not going to find Kobalt (or Craftsman) at HD.

Reply to
krw

I must have done too many searches yesterday. Could of sworn I saw Ryobi listed at Lowes but just "Out Of Stock".

Guess not. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My Ryobi 40 volt string trimmer compares very favorably with the Troy-Bilt gas trimmer I was using previously: it's similar in power, it's lighter and the Ryobi "string" is very long-wearing. You can reload the string without tools - just align the holes in the trimmer head, run the 6 foot piece of line through the holes and wind it up.

Depending oin the size of the yard, you may need a second battery. The charger is relatively fast but - unless it's a 90+ degree day - few of us want to wait very long to finish a dirty chore ;-) On a typical "trimming day", I'll switch batteries for the last 10-15% of the work.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

For me, the trimmer is not really an issue. Even my old 24V B&D works fine for my needs.

It's the blower that really matters. See my response to Brian where I compared the Ryobi 40V blower to my corded Ridgid blower. The Ridgid blower kicked the Ryobi's butt.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Sorry it didn't work out for you...Guess we never had a blower that compares to your Ridgid... Thanks for the feedback

Reply to
Brian Welch