Replacing battery operated smoke alarm

My battery operated smoke alarm is quite old. Replacing it with a mains powered device would not be very difficult. Any suggestions as to what to buy. No gas supply to house.
--
Michael Chare

Well why? Batteries last for ages unless you have it mounted over the toaster of course.
Additionally you then need power, I'd expect any old 9v supply could be used with a cheap battery operated one but I believe that most of the mains ones also have a rechargeable battery inside in case of a power outage caused by the fault which caused the fire in the first place! I never did understand why the Fire service who fit these battery ones for free, simply put them up with sticky plastic pads. I did the same myself as they told me that by the time the thing was hot enough for the glue to melt you would be dead if it had not gone off from the smoke! Not sure I buy this. Brian
--
----- -
On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 19:52:14 +0000, Michael Chare

I've got 3 Fireangel ones, supplied free by our local Fire Service (they would have come out and fitted them for free as well, but I diy'd it). Battery operated, 10 year life, battery not replaceable.
One failed after 8 months, another after 16 months. Called by the fire station this morning and they have a great big box of failed ones waiting to go back. Googling finds lots of reports of early failures, and mixed response from original suppliers about replacing them
Fire station has no replacements in stock, awaiting a delivery of a newer model (still Fireangel).
On 18/11/2017 11:34, Davidm wrote:

I've had a couple of early failures on Fireangels, but still have a couple going strong.
On 18/11/2017 11:34, Davidm wrote:

Is this the failure of the battery or some other failure mechanism?
I've had so called long life smoke detectors where the 10 year battery has gone flat enough for the detector to chirp after around a year. The batteries are non-replaceable only because of a melted plastic rivet holding on a battery cover. 10 seconds with a drill and probably you will find you will have a removable PP3 type lithium battery which can be replaced with an 'ordinary' PP3 battery.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

I fitted some of the 10 year lithium batteries in smoke detectors in my parents' house. They started chirping after a year. The problem was not a flat battery, but that the battery voltages are 11V. Don't know why they waited a year before starting to chirp. Put ordinary alkaline PP3's back in them, and they've been fine ever since.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 19:52:14 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

I fitted six Firex units about 13 years ago. Changed them after the statutory ten years. They are on a bayonet-style baseplate and only took a minute or two each.
Reliable and reasonably priced.
On 17/11/2017 19:52, Michael Chare wrote:

Mains interlinked, with backup batteries, and a remote test / hush switch is my preference (especially if you have high ceilings and can't easily reach an alarm to silence it). If they mount on a standard base, then even better.
I used aico / Ei ones, but the other well known brands should be ok.
I have had them in 8 years so far, and I don't think we have had a false alarm yet.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 17/11/2017 19:52, Michael Chare wrote:

I would probably fit an Aico optical detector.
--
Adam