With a battery-operated alarm located in a central hallway on 2nd floor of a
townhouse. Alarm goes off with no apparent reason (no fire, no smoke
source, no heat source). Alarm stayed on steady for few minutes but then
shut off. Any suggestions as to what may cause this apparent false alarm?
I don't know the details. I do know there are at least two types & you
should be able to find the details fast on the internet. One is more
expersive than the other, so a minimum price may be closer to $30 than $10
becasue of this, or $40 instead of $20. One is better suited to specific
applications. One uses a "light" beam, and the other? And of course there
are battery and hardwired units. You can even get combo units which use
both smoke sensor technologies, and units than double as CO (carbon
monoxide) detectors, etc.
Interesting: I was going to mention this smoke alarm business, again,
although it's been discussed here previously.
Shortly after I opened the the front door this morning; although not
as humid outside as yesterday, the smoke alarm at bottom of basement
stairs above and outside the workshop door, started sounding
Changed the battery for a new one just to make sure but it continued.
It certainly seems to confirm that certain (cheap ones anyway) will
sound off due to humidity. We have a total of three smoke alarms and a
CO (Carbon Monoxide) detector/alarm in passageway adjacent to
bedrooms. This one seems to be the most sensitive to humidity; warm
moist air must filter down to the cooler basement thus increasing the
relative humidity and setting off the alarm? This one also
occasionally sounds if wood binds while running it through the bench
You don't know it is a false alarm.
How do you tell if there is smoke? With a smoke alarm. Get a new
second smoke alarm of the same sort (ionic or photoelectric) and put
it up close to the first one. Then compare the results.
A neighbor of mine thought their alarm, also on the ceiling of the
second floor hall, was going off for no good reason, so they removed
it. A few weeks or months later a fire burned out their whole
kitchen, with smoke damage to the rest of the house and water damage
in the basement from the fire department.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.