Oil-based wood pore filler

Is there any of this that is transparent? Or is it all colored, or neutral-colored?

Reply to
moore.m

It's all as you see in the store, the minwax site, moore's site, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Go look.

Reply to
Twayne

Well, I've been reading Flexner's finishing book and he seems to imply that the oil-based pore fillers you either color or put down in a neutral color. He does clearly say, however, that water-based pore fillers come in transparent. So I was just looking for some confirmation.

Reply to
moore.m

Confirmed. That transparent oil base filler exists. Heck, you can even make your own with some cabosil and varnish. The commercial generally has relatively little resin and is mostly thinned with naptha so it will dry rapidly.

Reply to
dadiOH

Don't know what cabosil is, but I seem to remember reading that you could make a good pore filler by mixing pumice or rottenstone with shellac.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

That would fill but neither pumice or rottenstone are transparent. Lacquer works as a vehicle too. Cab-o-sil is fumed silica...it is

*extremely* fine and is often used as a thickener for epoxy or polyester resin. Same purpose in paints too IIRC.

dadiOH

Cab-O-Sil, Aer-O-Sil, etc are powdered thickening agents primarially used with epoxy.

Small quantites are available thru anybody that sells epoxy resin.

A 1lb can will probably be good for a lifetime for the typical wood worker.

Lew

.
Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Similar stuff is sold in r/c hobby shops (and online) in small quantities as "micro ballons".

Reply to
B A R R Y

They are made of phenolic resin. Resultant mix using them is red (dark).

Reply to
dadiOH

Mine are clear.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Cab-o-sil and microballoons are different products serving different purposes. Manufacturers of microballoons suggest adding cabosil to control floatation of the balloons in low-density resins for example. Microballoons come in phenolic or glass.

In the given application I'd try cabosil and I'd try glass microballoons and see which worked better.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Cool :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Micro-balloons and Cab-O-Sil (Fumed Silica) are diffent products.

Fumed Silica is an isentropic thickener while micro-balloons are a filler of which there are at least two (2) types.

Phenolic (brown/purple) which are very light weight and very expensive and a more generic (white) which are very low cost.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Pumice is white but turns translucent (not completely transparent) when mix with shellac. It's used as a pore filler in "french polishing". I recommend "FFFF" pumice.

All the rottenstone I've seen if black in color. I don't think it would work.

Reply to
Nova