Off Desk Phase II

I started the upper cabinet for the desk this week. It is a mix of lots of rabbit and dado joints that were cut per the drawing specifications.

6 face frame boards and 6 panels. The unit measures 93" x 54". 14 dado/groves, 8 lap joints, and a rabbit joint. There will also be a front face frame added to the mix with 6 more dado/groves and 8 floating tenon joints. First trial fit was successful. Needless to say, for panels to meet and fit into dados on 90 degree planes, cuts had to be dead on. No room for close.

This is the back face frame prior to finishing the through cuts for the ends of the dados where boards meet at 90 degrees. The through cuts were done with a trim router and straight bit.

First trial fit of the 12 pieces.

The bottom/ back face frame will be glued together with the plywood panels in place to insure perfect fit. The same procedure will be used for the front/top face frame and then the panels and front and back face frames will be glued together in one operation.

Reply to
Leon

Looking good, but all too damn familiar as far as size ... gotta say the last three projects here were finally something I could lift with one hand. :)

Holler when/if you need a hand with that glue-up.

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks, I was'a sweat'n it. When you don't cut anything to fit, simply cut to plans specs you hope it all goes together like the drawing.

Yeah bring your 4x8 sheet of granite that I know Linda has hidden away some where. LOL.

My plan is to cut the mortises for the Domino's for all the joints in the face frames. Glue the face frame joints and reassemble on top of the plywood panels and then clamp in place. After curing remove the face frame flip the panels and repeat for the other face frame. After cured, remove, sand everything, varnish all inner sides and hard to get to areas and then glue the panels to the face frames. This seems to work well, at least on the last 24 face frames that I have done this way. ;~)

I'd be starting the gluing on Monday If I did not want to varnish first.

Reply to
Leon