O/T: NBA FInals

If there *is* a sport, it is bullfighting.

Yeah, sure is Sporting. Just like Dog Fighting and Bull Baiting. And let's not forget Fox Hunting. Bull fighting is about as sporting as a slaughter house.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Oh, Three!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

OK, since it was the best one-liner of the year so far.

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'll never forget the first (and only) _real_ bullfight I ever saw, in Nuevo Laredo, TX. The sheer magnificence of that animal when it entered the arena, only to be dragged out by its heels, lifeless, was, for me an extremely unsettling experience.

It's hard put into words, but the machinations to reduce that animal physically to a level for the matador to be on more or less equal terms with it, were abominations. AMMOF and IMO, a culture that revels in that type of behavior is doomed, yet we embrace them in the guise of "diversity".

This was despite being raised on a farm, where the killing of rabbits, chicken, ducks, feed lot calves, etc., for our own consumption was a weekly occurrence, and I, as on the only male sibling at the time, was the designated executioner.

It's the eyes of the animals that finally got to me in this regard, even as a previous avid hunter ... as I've gotten older, extinguishing the 'light of life' in the eyes of a living creature is personally not something I continue regard as "sport".

Don't get me wrong ... I'll take all the game meat you want to load me down with and use it well, but I'd simply rather not personally kill another living creature as long as I live.

I've done more than my share, and I'm done with it ...

YMMV ...

Reply to
Swingman

On Jun 12, 9:35=A0am, Swingman wrote: [Jaq'sd]

Takes a man to acknowledge this point in his life.

I was 50 yards from a doe with my 303 had her dead nuts in my sights. Couldn't do it. My guy to my right did kill her with a merciful shot. An avid hunter and guide, he had some emotions about that too, the magnificence and scenery was just too damned beautiful to go unnoticed.

I did help with the skinning and draining and later cooking up a lot of that meat, but I did find my own limitations. I still agree with taking an animal for food, but 'sport'?

Reply to
Robatoy

It's not that I didn't like to hunt:

again, like every good coonass, I was _always_ looking beyond, to the cooking part ... :)

AAMOF, you ever need any game cleaned for an "in kind" consideration, you know where to ask. :)

Reply to
Swingman

On Jun 12, 4:18=A0pm, Swingman wrote: [Jaqified]

Jeezoos, that bunch looks like they could invade a small country.

Reply to
Robatoy

We did. Don't think you could get away with that in Coahuila or Nueva Leon these days ... we did this about four or five years in a row during the high rolling days of the late 70's, early 80's. And that was nothing, you shoulda seen what we did in Vail and Aspen, in pursuit of different game. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

More cotton tail, eh? :-o

Reply to
Robatoy

>> Then again, like every good coonass, I was _always_ looking beyond, to

Looking at pic #5 and trying to picture your bird dog, Pandy Bell eagerly but patiently waiting to retrieve the bounty. ;~)

Times change don't they?

Reply to
Leon

I guess the Heat proved you can't buy a championship, eh?

Reply to
Robatoy

----------------------------------- Before the series began, the guy who does the sports for the local ABC-TV station predicted that Dallas would win in 6 games.

Guess when it came to "crunch time", Miami didn't have it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

---------------------------------- I came home after bagging a c*ck bird with my single shot .410 and put my guns away.

No desire to hunt anymore, and LBJ was president.

Lew .

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

----------------------------------- T-track works for me.

A 12" x 72" x 3/4" plywood piece with 3, 12", T-tracks evenly spaced on 24" centers and a 3/8" x 3/4" x 72" aluminium bar for a guide runner and you are good to go.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

----------------------------------- T-track works for me.

A 12" x 72" x 3/4" plywood piece with 3, 12", T-tracks evenly spaced on 24" centers and a 3/8" x 3/4" x 72" aluminium bar for a guide runner and you are good to go.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I've done my share of killing (not euthanizing) terminally ill pets and if it is between starving and some other critter I know the outcome will be favorable for me. But I sure as hell do not Play with anything I'm in the process of killing. Get it done. Same with hunting or fishing. A walk in the woods is a lot different than putting meat on the table and these days I won't buy meat unless I know where it came from and how it was treated beforehand. Unfortunately it's tough to get restaurants in line, but if everybody understood how the pate' or veal got to their plate it might make a difference.

In the Minoan culture bulls were fought, but the fighters went in the ring naked without a bunch of guys on horseback to wear down the bull. The whole idea was to grab the horns and use the head shake to leap over the bull and live to tell about it. The bullfighting cultures claim this as ancestral to their "sport", but any fool can clearly se the only resemblance is the presence of a bull.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

White boys can jump!

Reply to