O/T: NBA FInals

I failed to hide my lack of enthusiasm, did I? I hinted in two earlier posts in this thread that (1) I can appreciate excellence in just about any sport, I think (I'm not so sure about bull-fighting) and (2) I agree with the poster who thinks we are a little "over the top" about our sports in the US. I even enjoy baseball a bit, but whoever is pushing each team to play 160+ games per season--I hope don't they are not doing it on my account! ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

"Swingman" wrote

You were stationed at Fort Bliss?? Jeez, I'm sorry. So was I. Guided Missile school, 1951. ;-)

I watch Formula One and IRL and I would much rather be a participant than a spectator but...............

Max

Reply to
Max

I want K-1 kickboxing and Muay Thai bouts. Those were truly hootilicious. It makes prize fighting pale in comparison. Well, 'cept for Mike Tyson's popcorn bouts. Cook up a batch of popcorn and watch all of Tyson's fights before you're done with the corn. (Well, the pre-biting bouts, anyway.) K-1 is one of the very few things I truly miss from my TV years. They had a dozen or so contestants and the winners of each pair fought until they had an ultimate winner. Some guys went through four fights in a row. THAT is Fight Night, guys.

I just found this. We'll see how it is now.

miss the old guys. Michael McDonald in his gladiator skirt, Remy Bonjaski with the lightning-fast kicks to the head, Earnest Hoost, Stefan Leko, Jerome LeBanner. Artists, all.
(kill the rap)
close one, well matched.

some old highlights: Kicks at 5 mins are vicious.

's top 10:
that farkin' rap OFF before it gets started.

-- Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects. --anon

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Alcohol fuel + nitro methane + burnt rubber tires + noise you can FEEL provide some mighty big grins. The sound of 1,500 horsepower crackling, just trying to idle, is a wonderful sound you won't forget.

-- Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects. --anon

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I like football, but the modern fixation on sports is a sickness. When the NFL went on strike the first time, I almost gave up watching. The second time did the trick. Now they're off again? How many fans do they have left? $2M for a 30-second spot on the Stupor Bowel? Gimme a break. It's all out of control as badly as Congress. Won't someone please hit the RESET button?

What a wonderful ending for a 3rd Strike felon! The tigers wouldn't need to be fed, nor would the criminals. Recidivism rate from that setup would be zero, too.

-- Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects. --anon

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Tell it brother!!!!

Reply to
Robatoy

----------------------------- Bet me.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Max wrote the following:

Although very rare in th US, but sometimes shown, are Professional Dart tournaments. I am a dart player and was once a VP of a County dart league (the steel darts, not the electronic plastic darts). I'm mostly Irish, in case it matters. :-)

Reply to
willshak

My definition of sports is any activity that attracts paying spectators.

Reply to
willshak

What about those women who climb up and down on those poles? What do they call that sport? Skiiing? ; )

Reply to
Bill

What about those women who climb up and down on those poles? What do they call that sport? Skiiing? ; )

====

Which "pole" are you referring to? Stop making me drool on my stain.

Reply to
Eric

So a rock concert is "sports"?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Do YOU think it's sports?

Reply to
Robatoy

Sure. After a couple pills and a few joints, =all= the women there are real sports, IIRC from so long ago.

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Don't know how you'd watch that on TV. No smoke, nobody spilling beer on you, no pee smelly bathrooms .... No Risk.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Jeez, there's three minutes wasted. Just tape it and watch the good bits, bypassing ref time outs and so on.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Boxing can be a great sport to watch if there are two closely matched fighters, both with good KO ratios, etc. To see two big heavyweights going toe-to-toe can be spectacular. Or the insane flurries of lighter weight classes. Back in the 70's, I laid out quite a few bucks to go see great fights on closed circuit pay per views. Hell, I even paid to see Foreman fight the 'Toronto Five' live. What a farce that was. (If you don't know what that fight was all about, don't waste your time Googling it, what an embarrassment to the sport.)

Sport?? Boxing??? Take a look at Ali.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Lobby Dosser wrote the following:

I smoke, I drink Beer and sometimes spill it on myself. My wife won't let me have a smelly bathroom, so I pee in a corner of the basement., just for the ambiance. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Lobby Dosser wrote the following:

Reply to
willshak

Does MIT have any teams?? Yet they seem to rake in big bucks from alumni ,,,

Reply to
Lobby Dosser