Newbie Question on Storage Cabinet Repair

In our garage we have built in storage cabinets made from particle board. One of the cabinet doors was left slightly open and one of our vehicles caught it and ripped out the hinges leaving the frame that the hinges were attached to with gaping screw holes and some of the board itself missing. My idea was to either cut out the damaged areas and replace with new particle board using Gorilla Glue or find some sort of compound that can worked into the particle board, left to dry and then hardens to the point that it can be worked like wood. What this compound is or if such exists I don't know.

I am in possesstion of only a circular saw, drill and small router. Any ideas/suggestions on this approach or other ways to go about this would greatly appreciated.

The hinges are sort of peculiar looking as they require a cut/slice into the door piece in order to fit. I would post some photos I took of the situation in order to make this more clear but I see no option to attach photos when posting in this group.

Thanks

John

Reply to
John

It exists, and it's called Bondo, aka "cabinet in a can."

Routing out the damaged area and insetting a patch, as you suggested, would be a more elegant approach, but I'd suggest using 3/8" plywood rather than PB for a stronger repair.

Reply to
kkfitzge

Thanks much for the reply. Plywood would be greatly stronger than PB. I will try that instead.

J.

Reply to
John