New House/Shop becoming a reality

On Nov 3, 6:33=A0pm, Larry Jaques <

The sheetrock will hold everything together!

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

OH, I forgot the wet Chinese sheetrock. Pardon me.

Texas must not follow international code.

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thank you

Reply to
Leon

Good luck on the new house/shop.

I thought about that but hind site.....;~)

Reply to
Leon

CNC.

Congrats!

LOL... reminds me of a comedian I was watching on TV a few years back. He was telling about a neighbor that let his dog out at night for the sole purpose of "barking" the place up.

Thanks

Reply to
Leon

2257 + approx 600 garage

Insulated cable for stressing the slab. About 60 of them, they run down inside the footings also.

Looked into that extensively many years ago, bought the land and never wrnt past that point due to job relocations. It is still appealing but this hose was literally the right price, about 25% less that what we would have had to pay about 6 months ago.

That is the first thing I look for, we are not even in the 500 year flood plane. Our current house is, we had flood insurance for about 25 years in our old house and Omaha sold out to Fidelity for flood insurance. Fedelity did not observe the law and canceled our insurance and demanded we pay $3,600 per year for flood insurance, we had been paying $230. I dropped the insurance for a few years, got an elevation survey and now pay $700 per year. We should have been grandfathered-in and my attourney said we can fight and will win but it is going to cost you much more.

Was the Sugar Land area, now the North Richmond TX area, just west of Sugar Land and just south of Katy, Tx.

Actually this area only sees a hurricane on average about once every 25 years, we had one 2 years ago previous to that in 1983 and 1962. The new house is rated for 125 mile per hour winds and even with a Cat 4 hurricane at the coast, 60 miles inland the winds are much less. We have much more of a threat from flooding and oddly enough tornados al thoufh not the big ones. Old house is marginally closer tot he gulf and had faired well during the hurricanes that it has gone through. If I were much closer to the coast I would be much more concerned.

Reply to
Leon

I think after checking the flood plane, I checked on the sheet rock manufacturer. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

>>> Nice ! ! !

Thanks...

yeah,,,, and fortunately the builder started using a 30 year shingle vs a 20 year shingle on my home. But our old home had an aluminum life time roof...I hate to leave that behind.

Reply to
Leon

It does ... but you have to be informed before you flap your trap.

You guys can laugh, but drywall can actually be an element in a properly designed shearwall (albeit a weak one, but it does have shear resistance which adds to the total effect), particularly in a hurricane prone area, but not so much in earthquake zones.

Reply to
Swingman

Trying to rain on someone's parade again, C-less?

Obviously hurricane strapping is not installed until after all the framing elements are in.

Do you know what a "shear wall" is?

see that thermo-ply sheathing> It is one of the main elements of a "shear wall" in a frame construction.

In the photo, you can also see, from the top sill plate of the first floor exterior wall, that the next course of plywood sheathing will overlap the first and second floor exterior walls, which is also a shear wall requirement in most locales in this area.

(I would have actually used a "running bond" overlap, instead of butt join, of the sheathing in this area to give it added shear resistance, but as long as it is properly nailed it should pass local shear wall inspection requirements, as is ... once the sheathing is complete, of course).

Reply to
Swingman

I wouldn't trust the stuff (though I live in an old house, and so therefore consequently do) for a shear wall. I think it's particularly bad for cyclic loading, like you said, in seismic zones. Gypsum shear walls for residential construction have largely gone the way of the dodo with the "new and improved" building code. Using gypsum for the shear wall would cause a typical plan examiner to immediately break out the red stamp unless there were specific structural notation/calculation from an engineer.

RicodJour

SHEEEEESSSH! No where did I say, or imply, that drywall was sufficient for a properly designed shear wall and that you should "trust" it in that application.

To intimate that is ridiculous.

What I said is that drywall can be an element in the cumulative shear resistance of a shear wall.

Of that there is NO question.

Jeezusss ...

Reply to
Swingman

Did you take an extra sensitivity pill this morning? I made no comment on your beliefs, I did not read any implications into your comments, nor did I infer any. I merely gave my professional opinion on gypsum as a shear wall component. I realize Leon is your BFF, but you probably shouldn't go looking for battles where there aren't any.

RicodJour

They're doing a few steel roofs around here....plug-ugly, me thinks. I have seen some interesting tile roof steel lookalikes at home shows, but those are stupid money. Again, so much of a roofing job is in the installation...IOW, I'd take a properly installed 20-year- over a shoddily slapped on 30 year shingle any day. That nice wide overhang of yours ought to keep that blazing burning bastard away from your windows in summer time.

Reply to
Robatoy

I'm still wondering about the garage doing double duty for your woodworking. Considering the amount and quality of woodworking you do, I'm surprised you didn't organize a dedicated workshop. Obviously, you've considered it all and the garage is all you really need. Guess it's just me and my preferences getting in the way.

Reply to
Upscale

fixed it for you.

Reply to
Robatoy

RE: Subject

Leon, you have your space allocations all screwed up.

2,200+ sq ft = living space 600+ sq ft = shop space

Your priorities are definitely bass ackwards.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Totally agree! ;~) Knock out the center of the garage back wall and and another wall behind that and gain an area 12' x 26'

Reply to
Leon

-------------------------------- Why wait, or is this a negotiation ploy?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Perfectly insulated, I hope. Big!

Interesting.

Too bad about the old land. RE the new lot: steenkin' HOA, tract, and flat area probably all go together to reduce the value.

Too bad it isn't 150 years ago and you could settle it out of court with one .56 Spenser round, huh?

Fort Stinkin' Desert! No, wait, that was Phoenix.

Good, but I'd have spent the extra few hundred to tie that puppy down were it my new pride and joy. YMOV