Brown Paper Bag Final Sanding?

The guy at woodcraft suggested using regular old brown paper grocery bags, instead of 320-400-ish sandpaper, to knock off the raised grain after staining. Well, I just tried it and it seemed to do a pretty good job.

I remember talking to a friend of mine who does auto paint jobs and custom helmets and hockey masks. He said that on the occasion he can't find any 2000-ish grit for his final inspection wet sanding, he'll just grab some printer paper.

Reply to
-MIKE-

In news:ias8jq$71h$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org,

-MIKE- spewed forth:

Yup, an old finisher buddy taught me that trick and it works great. Brown lunch bag or newspaper works well too

Reply to
ChairMan

They're also good for removing light surface rust without damaging a finish such as bluing, I've been told for forever not to cut cardboard because it is abrasive and will dull a knife. I've been ignoring this for forever and just sharpening the (various) knives when they get dull (from whatever reason).

And speaking of rust, the first thing I try on light rust is a coarse terrycloth rag with some light oil (auto trans fluid works well). This will usually remove rust with a good scrubbing, but won't harm bluing or other finish.

Reply to
lektric dan

Yep, paper bags works fine. Also, burlap.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

It's been discussed here a number of times in the past. AAMOF, nothing work like a brown paper bag on the final coat of shellac a week after it cures.

Reply to
Swingman

Amazing what I can learn from this site. What a great group. WW

Reply to
WW

I've never used shellac. What about it makes the paper so good? What's it doing to the shellac?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Is this a variant of the turner's trick of grabbing a handful of swarf to burnish the finished workpiece? I thought that was mainly heat and the resins and sap doing a quick polish. I'm partial to the waxy-string method, myself.

Reply to
whit3rd

It is abrasive. The guys that do knives use it for final sharpen/ polish, I believe. A "paper" wheel, IIRC.

Reply to
deadgoose

The friction heats the shellac just enough to burnish it, and it is just rough enough to both cause the friction and then burnish it super smooth.

Reply to
clare

Newspaper makes a perfect "polishing cloth" for cleaning window glass. Doesn't really mater if it has print on it or not.(but some seem to think the ink actually helps - I've not noticed one way or the other)

Reply to
clare

Serious? Tell me you're not just making that up (like some guys in here). :-) Makes sense to me.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I learned the newspaper window cleaning trick years ago and I will always use it to clean glass. Just water with a drop of dish soap and newspaper is sooooo much faster than any other method.

No streaks.

Reply to
-MIKE-

So did I, Basic training.

Reply to
CW

Likewise, a nice clean, new crisp dollar bill makes a fair electrical contact cleaner in a pinch. I would imagine larger denominations work equally well but I've never had one long enough to try.

Reply to
Larry W

Serious.

Reply to
clare

See the "frugal wood-turner" at

a supporting reference. I know, the URL is longer than the reference!!!!!

Reply to
clare

It really is worth giving a try. I use it all the time on items like picture frames or furniture that does not get high wear. It is inexpensive, easy to pad or brush (with the right technique) and dries fast.

Or to put it another way, the friction warms the shellac and softens it on the surface. And then the burnishing effect of the paper smooths the shellac.

That won't work the same on a varnish that cures with oxygen.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

But did you learn that a chamois skin works even better for the final wipes?

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oak rust, suspended in animal fat and rubbed in with Festool Brownbagpaper=99 is the ticket for me.

Reply to
Robatoy