New HF DC w/grizzly 0.3 micron bags

So as I've been researching dc's (and dispairing of the fact I don't have $4-800 to spend on a .5 micron cyclone system) I ran across last summer's "deal page"

you Cian - wherever you are!!)

It sounded like a - if not jet fit and finish - certianly reasonable and useful for a hobbyist that only gets out to the shop once every two weeks. (and had decided he didn't like breathing MDF dust at

10pm!)

I checked the HF website and ... alas ... not the $130 killer deal that last summer had. $199, as a matter of fact. Just couldn't _quite_ justify that.

On the off chance they knew something, I dropped by my local HF store to ask when the things were going back on sale. The manager scratched his head and said "well, I think they _are_ on sale right now!" He went back to check and, sure enough, $150. I grabbed it.

The grizzly bags seemed too good to be true. $20 per bag and 0.3 micron filtration? Heck, even if it's 1 micron, that's cheaper than just about anywhere else!! I bought one and though it's diameter is listed as 19", it fit on the 19.5" diameter HF DC with just some slight tugging.

I took a 39gal hefty cinch-sack and used it to line the lower bag. Hooked it all up, turned it on and...poof! The upper bag inflated about 65-70%. (from everything I've read, this is a good thing?)

All told, for about $180 I have a DC that filters down to (fingers crossed) 0.3 micron and should suit my occasional use just great. When I have the $$, I'll buy that cyclone but for now this should do an admirable job of keeping the shop a lot cleaner than what I'd been using before. (ie, nada!)

-aaron

Reply to
adb

This isnt the 2hp model is it? I just checked their website and the only thing I saw for $159 was the smaller 660cfm 9.8 amp. If you can get a 2hp for that price please tell me where so I can get one too!

Thanks!

Jim

Reply to
James D Kountz

Order a 45378 2vga, the price should come up as $149.99. It is Harbor Freight's 2HP model, really about 1-1/2 HP, but still a good deal. I ordered one a week ago, so it should be here any time. For the price you can upgrade to .3 micron bags and still be lower price than anyone else! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

It is the "2hp on a good day going downhill with a strong tailwind" model. (probably closer to 1.5)

I did my "ordering" as I said, by walking into the local HF store and asking the mgr. when they'd be on sale next. According to him, they are (well, were) currently. I had been watching their ads and seen naught, so...?

I did just check HF's website, (10-19-03 21:35 MST) and the 453782vga still comes up as $199. Not sure what's going on there. Maybe give their 1-800 # a call and see what's really up?

$149 + $26 (inc shipping) 0.3 micron bags from grizzley was too good to pass up.

Of course, now I have to buy all the other stuff to get it hooked up...(that short section of white flexible dryer hose I had from days gone by isn't going to cut it for long! =^) )

-aaron

Reply to
adb

The H.F. in my city did not have any in stock, but yes, they were on sale! (go figure!) The manager thought he would have them in a couple weeks. With free freight from H.F. on orders over $50 I figured I had nothing to lose to order one. If they back ordered it, and then the H.F. store got them in I could just cancel! I screwed you up on the item number 45378 3 vga, not 2. I got confirmation in the mail today that they got my order, and it was in stock, so I guess it will show up any day now. Greg

Reply to
Greg O