New DeWalt Circular Saw (Festool clone???)

Check out this video for a new Dewalt Saw. Looks pretty nice. Guessing it will be priced under the Festool and not as well engineered. Note: it looks like it is not available in the U.S.

Dave

Reply to
Dave - Parkville, MD

Gotta link to that?

Reply to
Leon

Did you forget to include the link?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Dave - Parkville, MD

Well that looks kinda cool. I bet it goes for about the same price as the Festool and I would certainly skip the battery operated models and stick with the corded models.

Reply to
Leon

Well, whaddayaknow. If you can't think of it yourself, rip it off. Have they no shame?

Reply to
Robatoy

Well, whaddayaknow. If you can't think of it yourself, rip it off. Have they no shame?

And their saw is a REVOLUTION. I guess they are referring to the blade spinning.

Reply to
Leon

Oh now, c'mon. Of course they have no shame.

But not all the Euro tools are completely original, either. Circular saws in all interations have been around more than a couple of centuries, so I am thinking this is kind of a evolution. Who knows, the key components of the two saws may be under license by someone else to both makers.

Even the track guide systems became popular in the 60s, and certainly they are popular today.

I'd put my money on DeWalt screwing their system up, though.

But it is monkey see - monkey do. I am remembering the biscuit machine fiasco that DeWalt ran into. They copied Lamello, and in turn were copied by Porter Cable. DeWalt sued Porter Cable since it was too close to their design. That made PC come up with a new model that had a tiny difference in the machine.

The point being, if it is actually close and unlicensed, expect a lawsuit soon. Festool's markup is huge enough that they have a responsibility to protect their products.

But that being said, I am waiting for you and Leon to buy one of these.

out both sizes, the #2 and the #20. They are both pretty damn cool.

And for some cool, original tooling, look around that site if you have a few minutes.. They have some cool flush cutting saws, dedicated laminate/wood trimmers, etc.

Love that plugger, though. I guess you have to buy the plug maker with it though. If I was repairing furniture for a living, I would be getting out my checkbook now since the big plugger will even do edges!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Doing the math based on the UK availability its about $575USD (289.95UK)

Reply to
BDBConstruction

I imagine it would further disappoint if it were about the same (or the same with a couple of adjustments) that is meant to be sold overseas, and not here as an agreement with Festools.

There could be some nefarious forces at work...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

But that being said, I am waiting for you and Leon to buy one of these.

that is pretty cool. It would be interseting to use different color woods as plugs, for now I'll stick with putty.

Reply to
Leon

Actually, I thought they were REALLY cool. Never could find a price on them, and although I bet the plug cutter is affordable, I'll bet the plug maker isn't.

Hey.... maybe you could dangle this in front of Swing!

You never know.... ha!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

J. Clarke

Actually, I thought they were REALLY cool. Never could find a price on them, and although I bet the plug cutter is affordable, I'll bet the plug maker isn't.

Hey.... maybe you could dangle this in front of Swing!

You never know.... ha!

Robert

Yeah I agree, the divot cutter is probably much cheaper than the plug maker. I kinda like production runs perhaps I could guy the maker and sell the plugs. ;~)

OR

Maybe "you" could be then next in line to make "the purchase". LOL I just got the Rotex and he just got the new sharpener that uses the glass disks and sand paper to produce scary sharp edges, the name escapes me, maybe WorkSharp or something like that. Yeah Robert, I think it is your turn. Do you agree Swingman? LOL

Reply to
Leon

Actually, I thought they were REALLY cool. Never could find a price on them, and although I bet the plug cutter is affordable, I'll bet the plug maker isn't.

Hey.... maybe you could dangle this in front of Swing!

You never know.... ha!

Robert

As John's link points out the divot cutter is $139. And that sound too cheap. But I found this link to buy the #2 plugs for a much more reasonable price than the plug maker $790.

20 cents each in boxes of 500 in a wide variety of species. I have go to think that 500 would last a very long time and if not, you need to find a different wood supplier.

Reply to
Leon

Noooo...... look again. The second CUTTER head only is $139. The machine is $790! And in my imagination I was about right - the actual cost of the plug maker is $1600.

So for less than $2500, you're in! Get up ... call in now.... at these prices they won't last! And if you order today and ship within the US (sorry friends in the frozen tundra of Canada) it's free!

Don't forget that spiffy little motorized planer (I am almost positive this is one of those suspended blade gizmos) they show in the video to finish the job, though. That would probably be in the $800 range. So for everything, you could be patching with the big dogs for about $3300.

If you and Swing are relying on me, I think we should go this route, and just tell everyone we had one of those:

could easily make a rounded slot patch, and we wouldn't have to use hearts, diamonds, or shamrocks. We could be in for under $40, whiich is about my speed!

Sitting here thinking about it, I think the last major tool purchase I made was my HVLP system couple of years ago. To the door it was $1500, $1600, somewhere in there. I got the upgrade system then upgraded that, bought the stuff for maintenance, and extra gun, aircaps, etc., and it added up pretty quick. But that rascal made my money back in short order so it was a good purchase.

Can you believe it? I don't want anymore tools. None. I want the ones I have to do everything I need. What I need to get is the time to use the ones I want on the projects >> I

Reply to
nailshooter41

Robert blurted out...

This is serious.

Is there a wood dorker's intervention service in Texas? This man is not well. Hold him down and force him to peruse the Lee Valley catalog. Let him fondle some big buck planes. Maybe he will respond to a tool made with rosewood and brass. Lock him up in a room with some Festools.

The man needs help!

Hey Swingman and Leon, are you available for a serious wood dorker intervention?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Noooo...... look again. The second CUTTER head only is $139. The machine is $790! And in my imagination I was about right - the actual cost of the plug maker is $1600.

So for less than $2500, you're in! Get up ... call in now.... at these prices they won't last! And if you order today and ship within the US (sorry friends in the frozen tundra of Canada) it's free!

Don't forget that spiffy little motorized planer (I am almost positive this is one of those suspended blade gizmos) they show in the video to finish the job, though. That would probably be in the $800 range. So for everything, you could be patching with the big dogs for about $3300.

Hummmmm.. now you are talking. $3300, now that IS starting to sound intersting. NOT! LOL You could buy about 8,000 plugs for the price of the cutter. I cannot see how buying the machine would pay for it self as the time required to make

8,000 plugs would surely cost you about $1600 in man hours and materials.

Snip

Can you believe it? I don't want anymore tools. None. I want the ones I have to do everything I need. What I need to get is the time to use the ones I want on the projects >> I

Reply to
Leon

LOL,,, A couple of days ago I mentioned the Houston WW show in early April.

Reply to
Leon

I'm not so sure that the margins are all that great to Festool. They actually allow their dealers to make a buck. Not a bad thing... up to a point.

rrrrrrrrr

Reply to
Robatoy