Routers

Thinking about buying my 1st router, any suggestions on what I should look for, or what I should stay away from?

Reply to
johnny945

i like the linksys i got but i hear netgear is good also., But i also hear motorola makes a good router and you can plug multiple computers into it

Reply to
pooteo

I'd get at least a 1.5 HP or more if you can, If you are going to use this router hand held then I'd also suggest getting a Plunge Router, it's much better for a varity of jobs. A very good mid priced router id the Porter Cable 690 series, you can get it in a kit with both a fixed and plunge bases.

Cheers Mike H

Reply to
Mikeh

If you need just one router, buy one with some balls. You will need them at some point.

One helluva deal is the Hitachi M12V and there are still some older models available for a song.

It will give you 3.25 HP, 1/2" collet and plunge. I have 4 of those puppies now and love them.

Robatoy

Assuming you are interested in pursuing woodworking as a hobby and this is not just a one-shot project, spend the dollars up front and get a Porter Cable, Dewalt or Bosch kit with both a plunge base and a fixed base, 1/2" and 1/4" collets (accepts bits with both 1/2" and

1/4" shank). Stay away from Craftsman, Black & Decker, Skil, Ryobi and Harbor Freight or anything else that is substantially cheaper than the name brands in the first group. You will soon have more invested in bits than you do in your router. Buy only Carbide tipped bits and stay away from the ones that seem too good a deal to pass up. If you are just buying a router for one project and don't see any further need for it, still buy a good one and sell it on Ebay when you are finished. The good ones bring good prices, but you can't give the cheap ones away.

DonkeyHody "Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

Oh, do it right and get a Cisco.

Reply to
J. Clarke

There are many kinds, brands, size, weights and features. You may want to check out a library book about routers. I'd stay away from off-brands or "bargain" routers. A 1/2" collet is better than a 1/4" if you plan on larger projects.

Reply to
Phisherman

I also like the porter cable router with the two extra bases, I have it mounted on a homemade table that works just fine. I also bought a 3.5 hp variable speed router on ebay for about $70.00 which I plan to mount to the other end of my table for heavier cutting. Good Luch Johnny!

Reply to
kup

depends a bit on use..

for handheld.. < 3hp mostly to keep down the size and weight

for a table.. hard to beat the Triton 3.25hp..

Reply to
Kevin

I recently got the DeWalt kit and it had a couple of things going for it. The base is attached with panhead screws with oversize recesses and a centering cone is provided. If mounted in a table, the body doesn't rotate as the ring is turned, so the controls and cord remain in the same place.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Linksys IS Cisco.

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Well, in the same sense that the KR201 is a Messerschmitt.

Reply to
J. Clarke

pooteo wrote in news:e03bf240-9d7f-4457-8c98- snipped-for-privacy@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

I like the Linksys WRT54GL router myself.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I'll second that on the 1/2" collet. I bought a B&D a few years ago and didn't do the research you're doing now - asking around. In my ignorance I ended up with a 1/4" collet.

In contrast to what others have said about cheaper brands, I'm pretty happy with the B&D, except for the collet size.

I also think that getting a decent router book will give you a solid grounding on what to look for. Plus it'll give you some hints 'n tips

Reply to
Tanus

Messerschmidt maybe?

Reply to
Robatoy

I have this one that I use mostly for dados, mortises and tenons:

love it. I have an older 3 HP Ryobi router on my table. Honestly, the DeWalt is 2.5 HP but it seems more powerful. Maybe it's just my flawed perception.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Especially with the DD-WRT firmware.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Jeff laid this on me:

Naw, you're probably right. Just because I paint "7 HP" on the side of a motor doesn't mean it pulls a REAL 7 HP when being used in the real world. It's kinda like gas mileage in that regard. Within motors of the same make, maybe it's a good barometer of which ones are more powerful than others. As a hard and fast rule of how powerful a motor REALLY is, well, numbers are a powerful marketing tool. But there's a lot more to a tool's operating power than the number they paint on the side of the case.

Sean

Reply to
Sean S

Please. I don't think this is the question the OP is asking. I mean, we don't even know if they need switching functionality too. We have a pair of nice Cisco 6500 layer 3 core switches that both switch and route between VLANs. With the redundant supervisor modules, you could buy a really nice workshop and tools for what those babies cost (OBWW).

todd

Reply to
todd

Somone told me that these routers are now made in China from the Japanese tooling. Yes? No?

I know they moved a lot of their manufacturing over there, but this particular router has been an industry standard workhorse even before Bob and Rick (good day, eh? We're here to talk about yoosing your router.)

Just wondernig. I used to see them on sale every once in a while and always wondered if I >>needed

Reply to
nailshooter41