New Craftsman bandsaw

I have read about a new bandsaw from Sears that sounds very interesting to me. The most interesting thing is the price - $300. It even has a 7" resaw capability though I have no plans to do resawing. A link is this:

article says: "With welded-steel construction, microadjustable ball-bearing guides, a blade-tracking window, dual dust ports, and a 20" x

16" cast-iron table, the two speed Craftsman 22400 12" bandsaw specs more like and 18" bandsaw" It also has a drift adjustable fence and built in worklight.

I have been unable to find any on-line reviews because the saw is so new. If someone on this group either has purchased the saw or does so in the future, could you please post your comments?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Rob Mills

Here's my thoughts. I'll prefix this by saying I have a Delta 14", not a Grizzly or Sears. But I'd much rather spend the extra $100 on the Grizzly

555 saw
. I realize that shipping would be extra (although Sears charges shipping if you require it), but you might save tax.

In any case, you'd get a more powerful motor (10 amps vs 7 for the Sears), you get a "real" saw (one that's got a number of reviews, mostly positive), and you'd have a fighting chance of actually using the 6" of space under the blade guard. Plus you can add a riser block if you like. The Sears may have 7", but I really doubt you'd be able to cut 7" of anything besides balsa wood. I've got a Delta, as I mentioned, with a 10 or 11 amp motor, and it really struggles to cut more than 6" of any harder wood. Oh yeah, you'll be able to find blades easier for the 14" saw than the 12".

That's just MHO, your mileage will vary, standard disclaimers apply... Look at it this way. If you spend the extra $100, and the saw lasts you for 10 years, that's $10/year. Less than $1/month, or $0.03 per day. Surely you can find 3 pennies for this? :)

Reply to
Clint

Thanks for your 3 cents worth! You have me thinking hard - I appreciate the ideas.

>>> The article says: "With welded-steel construction, microadjustable

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Re: Craftsman 12" Bandsaw Sears item #00922400000 Mfr. model #BAS300

I bought one of these and it seemed like a real steal except for the following fact. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to find 89 1/2" blades that this saw takes. Sears does not carry them. THe only place that I found on the web claims that they are out of stock due to high demand from new owners of this model needing blades. As far as I can find, this is the ONLY bandsaw in the marktplace that uses this odd blade size. Do yourself a favor and get the next model up (14 inch). THe saw performs fine but I have only been able to use it with the included stamped steel 1/2 inch blade which pretty much limits it's usability.

-Adam

"Dick Snyder" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Reply to
Adam Jawer

Adam Jawer wrote in news:Xns9778A6AB78A80ajawercustomNOSPAMca@140.99.99.130:

Many local sharpening services can make up bandsaw bulk stock to the size you need. Give them a call.

If not, try one of the national shops advertised in the back of your favorite woodworking magazine.

Probably save a nickle or two as well.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I spent alot of time looking at band saws my self, plus I talked to quite a few wood workers of many types. I looked at American made Delta's, plus Jets. It came down to 4 saw's Craftsman 12" or

14". Jet 14" and a older 14" Delta USA made a friend had for sale. When I walked in to Sear's and saw the 12" Craftsman it won by a land side. There is no saw build today that can touch it with all that Craftsman offers with there saw. Plus for only $80 bucks you can get a 5 year warranty that covers everything but the blade. No other Mfg can touch that, or offers that kind of coverage, not ever close. You could resaw the Cascade Forest and if it breaks down your covered. So anyone who complains about there Craftsman saw must have missed the boat on there buy.(should have got the warranty) As far as the blades go there easy to get. I have found 2 companys that sell the blades in a huge assortment of sizes(very good prices also). So you just need to have a few back ups on the wall. It is a wonderful saw. Study a few other saws out there, and go see them. Then go see the Craftsman 12" band saw, it looks like most $700 to $800 or better easy. Built like a tank. I am not sure who built the saw for Sears, but it is outstanding. I am around tools alot. I run a tool dept for Lowe's. I see many type's of tools day in and day out. My only regret is that Lowe's doesn't carry that type of quality in saw's.
Reply to
oldworldwood

are sold here :D

Reply to